Madmax DV.........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Evening chaps.

Not really posted much up lately, too busy with work, holidays, bird and fixing the god dman money pit of a s3 (i love him really haha). Anywho, i've been spending alot of time other on vortex and came across a DV called the "madmax DV", here's the link: VWVortex.com - Let's talk Diverter Valves

Now ive not long since bought a 008 DV to replace my old 007p but have been giving buying one of these some serious thoughts, would go nice with my custom dv relocation kit as i can just change the 90' elbow to accommodate this and do away with the silicone/ally joiners and reducers.

So thoughts?

Its just a bigger DV like my super size one... not really required unless going BT..

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Yeah i thought of the forge supersize one but this seems like a compromise between that and the 007/008's.

The vortex boys and even the tt-forum boys seem to love them tufty even at standard tune levels though!

The important bit is that its a diaphragm valve, rather than a piston valve.

That means you get the faster response of a diaphragm valve, plus its maintenance free, unlike your typical aftermarket offering.

Well seems popular, if people are interested ill email the max and setup a GB like the tt boys have done.

For that price you may as well buy the madmax one, comes already modified.

I don't get it? It looks ****, and what's the benefit?

Im with you mate.... Save your money guys ;)
Esp you Dan, youve just got a 008, what more do you want? Itll not provide more power.

Its said to be the quickest recovery dv on the market, flows more than the standard/forge dv's and not meant to leak boost under 30psi. This is all from the link above and what everyone seems to say about, thats why i thougt id ask your guys views on it.

why would you care if its fugly? Its hidden away under a nice panel that Audi kindly painted the same color as the rest of the car for you.

The important bit is that its a diaphragm valve, rather than a piston valve.

That means you get the faster response of a diaphragm valve, plus its maintenance free, unlike your typical aftermarket offering.
any evidence to support this?

stock to 007 for example, 007 is faster acting to me

Last edited:
any evidence to support this?

stock to 007 for example, 007 is faster acting to me

Well read the above link, he gives response times for the mitsi valve, and compares it to many piston valves including a forge one (though he doesnt say which) and the piston ones are all slower.

Oddly he doesnt seem to have compared it to the stock 710n which would have been nice.

It makes sense though, a diaphram should move much quicker than a piston as its lighter/less inertia.

Well I've actually read the above link, so havew seen the reviews and tests/data. Its almost hard to believe but there isn't a bad review to say otherwise.
Plus, why do we restrict ourselves to forges overpriced unreliable tat, obv they can work, but m$any many people have problems and with this being maintenance free, more reliable, better performiong, similar price, whyu the hell shouldn't we choose this.

I like the yanks, they aren't so set in their old fashion ways, and love to try things and test out different ideas and parts, people should be more open minded for god sake, I'll try one anyway, anyone wants to trial mine at a show they are welcome.

Well read the above link, he gives response times for the mitsi valve, and compares it to many piston valves including a forge one (though he doesnt say which) and the piston ones are all slower.

Oddly he doesnt seem to have compared it to the stock 710n which would have been nice.

It makes sense though, a diaphram should move much quicker than a piston as its lighter/less inertia.

not exactly what you said however is it.. (me in pedantic mode ;) )
That means you get the faster response of a diaphragm valve

less inertia, probably true, however more flexible so more "give"

I am not commenting or comparing max's evo dv however, just 1.8t stock vs something like an 007.

Well I've actually read the above link, so havew seen the reviews and tests/data. Its almost hard to believe but there isn't a bad review to say otherwise.
Plus, why do we restrict ourselves to forges overpriced unreliable tat, obv they can work, but m$any many people have problems and with this being maintenance free, more reliable, better performiong, similar price, whyu the hell shouldn't we choose this.

I like the yanks, they aren't so set in their old fashion ways, and love to try things and test out different ideas and parts, people should be more open minded for god sake, I'll try one anyway, anyone wants to trial mine at a show they are welcome.

diaphragms split... thats their weakness and why piston dv's were created..
consider their locations and heat and what happens to rubber over time and heat cycles explains why they can sometimes expire.

I am not personally slating max's evo dv antics, I have seen his progress for a long time... its fugly install tho on the ones I have seen, with assorted cobbled step up hose joiners etc... given its got larger ports than 1.8t's pipes, you will need to make adaptions as far as I can see to fit them.

Clearly you are not a fan of forge tho - lol

Thts what drew me to it as well karl, over the entire vortex and tt forum i have not seen one bad word said abot the valve, thats why i thought itd post it on our little forum as to our guys thoughts but it seems to be abit mixed.

Thts what drew me to it as well karl, over the entire vortex and tt forum i have not seen one bad word said abot the valve, thats why i thought itd post it on our little forum as to our guys thoughts but it seems to be abit mixed.

not mixed.. it works thats clear.

better - because its diaphragm or because its just bigger tho?

Agreed the valve installations are truely graffic, im going to run a reduceing elbow on my custom coldside dv kit so it should make it look alot neater and do away with the silicone/ally joines.

Wonder what this test was..... copied the " test on reaction time that a car mag did on various dv on the market"

The following is a test on reaction time that a car mag did on various dv on the market.
What you are looking at is after the release, when the driver heads back to WOT, how quick the valve recovers. All tests were run at 9 psi.

At the first point of 100% throttle:
DSM 1G/evo DV = 2 psi
DSM 1G/evo DV/crushed = 1 psi
DSM 2G DV plastic = 3.5 psi
WRX DV = 3 psi
FD3S DV = 4.5 psi
R32 GTR DV = 3 psi
Bosch DV = 3 psi
A'pexi twin chamber BOV = 4 psi
Bailey DV = 4 psi
Blitz super sound BOV = 2 psi
HKS SSQV BOV = 3.5 psi
Stratmosphere hyperboost adjustable DV = 4.5 psi
Vortech race BOV = 3 psi
Forge piston ram BOV = 5.5 psi
Forge piston ram DV = 4 psi
Greddy type S DV = 2 psi
Greddy type R DV = 3 psi

I am going to presume the pressure is residual pressure after venting the 9psi boost over some period of time? (not mentioned)
more residual pressure would suggest slower
AND/OR a less "flowing" dv as this is a residual pressure test, NOT a faster acting test

or have I missed something?

Last edited:
I too must have missed something, Mitsubishi valves are just as unreliable as the Bosch valve in terms of the diaphragms splitting which is why most aftermarket manufacturers have moved to piston. Ask an Evo owner! There may be a slower reaction time (and i bet its in milliseconds) but a piston isnt going to split and leak. Just seems to be classic American over-analysis of every minute detail !

From what i can see from a quick scan of lancerregister, the metal DV shown above, as used in Evo IX and X models is pretty reliable...

Also, pistons might not split, but they do stick/jam.

From what i can see from a quick scan of lancerregister, the metal DV shown above, as used in Evo IX and X models is pretty reliable...

Also, pistons might not split, but they do stick/jam.

they both have potential issues. diaphragm non-servicable in OE forms... aftermarket not always the case.

BTW: what do you make of the test results?

i find the description of the results hard to understand tbh.

He says hes measuring recovery, and then gives a "boost pressure at first 100% throttle"

On that explanation, i'd have thaught more boost would mean the valve has shut quicker, and thus is acting faster, but the way the results are interpreted seems backwards from that, ie that a lower pressure means its a faster acting valve.

As you say it seems more like its measuring residual boost.

More info of what the test was actually doing is required i guess.

given its pressure, I cant see how it can be deemed a "speed" thing as size (in this instance! lol) matters to flow..

yea it seems to work "better" by a definition of it vents more but over what time period? even same time period, larger would expectedly vent more logically.

bigger valve.. yea it is.. (evo one of max's)
comparitive size of all the others in the test? I dont know... and I suspect few do.

excuse my ignorance, but what's all this 'recovery' talk about? DV opens when you back off, open the throttle and the vacuum goes, and the DV snaps shut. Nobody is going to notice if that's 0.01 or 0.02 of a second..... who cares?

If a forge is fitted, with the correct spring, and it doesn't bleed off boost, I see no benefit to changing it what so ever. It doesn't increase performance in anyway, it's purely a safety system to prolong the life of the turbo.

Well the faster the valve closes, the quicker you'd expect to see positive boost again once back on the throttle, which is what i thought they were getting at with the "first 100% throttle" thing.

But in that case, if you take a measurement at the same time point after opening the throttle, you'd expect to see a higher figure for the faster valve, whereas they're quoting the lowest figures as being best.

Well the faster the valve closes, the quicker you'd expect to see positive boost again once back on the throttle, which is what i thought they were getting at with the "first 100% throttle" thing.

But in that case, if you take a measurement at the same time point after opening the throttle, you'd expect to see a higher figure for the faster valve, whereas they're quoting the lowest figures as being best.

because of what I theorise is their measurement approach...

Speed of DV is not what they're quantifying with the tests they have done and concluded from how I read it.

"best" for them being least residual pressure from the results published - whatever thats supposed to conclude..

size is'nt irrelevant is it... yet unmentioned.. curious

Imagine: incredibly fast acting, yet small DV not venting as much "volume of compressed air" as its slower yet larger cousin... Which is the "best" DV in that comparison and why?

I fear the published data is flawed for those tests...

I believe it works, and is an improvement in venting air quickly and thoroughly, but I believe its size is the major reason why. (imho)

Looks like some of the guys are living their lives a 1/4 mile at a time and lost touch with reality...

Reactions: Benjiman46
now that its been discussed and having looked back over that 'test' its a little weird in what he says and what the results show.
however, il choose this dump valve based on the reviews and whats been experienced with it. im sure i wont be dissapointed anyway.
i think i could fit it looking neat aswell.