Macbook?

Davidb67

Reaction score
Having used PC's exclusively at work, and we have a self-built desktop PC (which now is hardly used), and an Acer notebook (my wife's own machine), both running Win XP, I am tempted to dip my toe into Apple's camp and buy a Macbook.
I'd mainly be using it for web browsing, storing my digital pics, and managing my music (i'm about to get an iPod). I dont play PC games, and would not really use it for much else.
Should I stick with PCs or should I explore the world of Mac?

I use both and have a lot of experience of running macs in a design environment. Apple are generally more expensive on the outset, but very enjoyable to use. :) Less risks of catching viruses (but they are out there), and they just seem to work. Great for wireless, great for picking up devices without assigned drivers etc.

There is also a piece of software called bootcamp (at a beta stage at the minute) but this allows you to also run windows on the mac (as long as it is an Intel machine) - free. I believe it will also be built into teh new OS (Leopard). So potentially you could have the best of both worlds (to an extent). It might be good for you to visit somewhere and have a little play around with them. Shame you can't pop into my work as I could show you loads in action (but changed dept!).

If it's browsing you want, make sure you download Firefox (even if using a PC - it beats IE) and sack off Safari. Also make sure you buy a memory upgrade to at least 1gb (something I need really, but I got a bit of a bargain). Why Apple always give 512mb standard is just stoopid!!

I just used my Mac to give a mini photo exhibition tonight - went really well! I see and exploit the benefits of both systems, it might be for you it might not - but it's worth giving it a go!

Good luck! :D
Rob

Through my job, I've used many different types of computers and operating systems. Everything from your Basic PC running DOS, to Cray supercomputers running a specialized VMS operating system.

For my home use, I will always choose Mac. It's much easier to use, and less work to maintain. If computers were cars, I shouldn't need to be a mechanic to drive the damn thing. With my MacBook Pro I've found that all the problems I've ever had were due to my own mistakes; and stupid mistakes at that.

Anyway, the newest Mac OS: OS X (Pronounced 'Oh Es ten'). Is an amazing advance for Mac. It's got the elegant and easy to use front end that Mac users have become accustomed to, and it's got something new. Something that growls and shudders when you lift the bonet. The Mac OS is now built on a Unix base. That's right, Mac OS X is based on Unix. An incredibly powerful operating system that I've been using (in one form or another) since 1986.

Unix is the operating system I grew up with. In my line of work, it's Unix that gets the tough stuff done. It's a very powerful, cross platform power house with limitless potential.

The new Mac OS has successfully merged the classic point and click Mac OS with the power house capabilities of Unix. I find that I almost never need to reboot my machine now that I'm running OS X.

The Unix foundation has created a software foundation that is stable, cross platform portable, developer friendly and familiar. It's a whole new era for the Mac.

The Mac desktop remains point and click friendly, bright and cheery, and problem free.

Mac's are (for the most part) intuitively easy to own and operate. Compared to a PC they are childishly simple to use. Now don't get me wrong, you can always open the bonet, where you'll find a Unix base which you can work like a mechanic.

Switching to a Mac may be a bit more expensive, but the benefits pay for themselves many times over.

On my MacBook Pro I'm able to run the following Operating Systems.

Mac OS 9 - The Classic Mac operating system.
Windows XP Pro - Using the free BootCamp (You do need to buy the XP licence though).
Mac OS X - The newest addition to something that just keeps getting better.
Unix X11 - A basic Unix desktop/window manager.

BootCamp runs Windows XP on the Mac better than a PC.

OS X Leopard is due out very soon and offers mant of the visual enhancements seen in the Latest Windows Vista but with much more and without all the instability of Windows.

Oh and don't forget ALL the Mac from the MacMini to the MacBook Pro are ultra sexy designed. The all Aluminium MacBook Pro always gets appreciation when ever anyone see it.

Once you turn Mac you never turn back!
Some of the above text is extracts from an email I read prior to buying my first Mac.

Do it. Do it! I recently switched from pc to mac and I wish I'd done it sooner.
I have a mac mini running as a HTPC to deal with tv recording, dvd watching, music/ipod stuff and a macbook pro for work.
I've used pc's for the last 10-14yrs and whilst they did me proud mac's are a breath of fresh air.

ta,
jbw

I just got myself a dual core macbook pro - it's lush.
I run Windows XP under OS X using VMWare - it's a program that lets you run windows at the same time as being booted into OS X. So your Windows programs appear on your Mac desktop as if they were genuine Mac apps. It's a really smooth experience.

P.S. I think Safari 3 on the Mac beats Firefox, unless you need Firefox extensions. Safari is so quick!

Aargh, one more thing... Itunes sucks! Windows Media Player 11 is much better in my opinion.

meza where did you buy it from ?

am looking for a macbook, but bit skint at the mo so looking for the best deal

ALso meza did you not want to wait for leopard the new OSX

Macs are the way forward imo..Apple are selling more and more every year
as people are switching..I work in the print industry as a printer, and my gf is
a graphic designer, Macs are used more or less all the time in the trade thats how i got into them. So easy to use not many virues to worry about,has Mr Jobs says "they just work"

No pc looks as classy as a Mac imo!!!

rickparmar said:

There are a lot of companies selling Mac books etc ....that re-furb them.

rickparmar said:

Take a look on the applestore in the refurb zone, some good deals to be had. Head for the special deals tab in the lower right hand of the page.

marms said:
On my MacBook Pro I'm able to run the following Operating Systems.

Mac OS 9 - The Classic Mac operating system.
Windows XP Pro - Using the free BootCamp (You do need to buy the XP licence though).
Mac OS X - The newest addition to something that just keeps getting better.
Unix X11 - A basic Unix desktop/window manager.

Hi Marms, How are you running OS9, sheepshaver? I never managed to get it to work on my MacBook Pro. Perhaps you have more patience than me! ;)

yea seen the refurb ones, going to wait a bit now and save for a macbook pro

leopard is out today

rickparmar said:
yea seen the refurb ones, going to wait a bit now and save for a macbook pro

leopard is out today

If you buy second hand get one with an intel core 2 duo, not the Intel core duo.

Leopard? I wont be queueing outside my local dealer tonight, but it's fair to say I'll have bought a copy by the end of the weekend. :thumbsup:

Finally i got my self a macbook,

just getting used to it,

its weird doing everything with one mouse click,

anyone have any tips for anything, what i should install etc etc ?

Rick. On your track pad you can tap or double tap it instead of using the button.

Using one finger moves the cursor
Using two fingers moves the page up, down, left or right.
Tap the pad with one finger to select an item etc
Tap the pad with two fingers to bring up extra menu's

I can't remember if this needs to be enabled in your settings but thats how my Macbook is set up and I've had mine for near two years now.

Right. Just had a nosey.
Click on the Apple sign top left of the screen.
Select "System Preferances"
In Hardware select "Keyboard and Mouse"
Select "Trackpad"

Set up as you wish.:friends:

I'll add more as I think of them, though I'm no expert. One of them will be along soon I'm sure.

Right. Just had a nosey.
Click on the Apple sign top left of the screen.
Select "System Preferances"
In Hardware select "Keyboard and Mouse"
Select "Trackpad"

Set up as you wish.:friends:

I'll add more as I think of them, though I'm no expert. One of them will be along soon I'm sure.

:) your a star,

Thank you so much

got any more tips ?

one for you, just say i have to internet windows up, and i need to toggle from them both, how do i do this

i know i can do tabs in one internet window, but sometimes when you click on links it opens a new window

:) your a star,

Thank you so much

got any more tips ?

one for you, just say i have to internet windows up, and i need to toggle from them both, how do i do this

i know i can do tabs in one internet window, but sometimes when you click on links it opens a new window

Open the first window that you want view. Minimise it with the middle round button top left of screen below the Safari icon. At the very top of the screen you should still have the Safari task bar open, Click on "File" and select "New Window" your Home page will reopen and the other page is still open in your bottom task bar. You can now work between them and "Cut and Paste" etc.

Thought of another wee tip.

On your Dock when you bring it up you can "Double Tap", ie two finger tap, the icons and choose from the menus brought up.
:icon_thumright:

Hi Rick,

See below...

Press the command key and ~ (next to Z), this will let you flick between the two (or however many you have open) windows.

Check the tab preferences, there are some tips at the bottom for you. For example press the command key and click on the link to open it in another tab.

HTH

I love how people by a mac, then run windows on it, is it just me or is that hilarious?

Not a mac fan, never have been, I dont see the point in their existance

just getting used to it,

If you use office take a look at Neo office or Open office, both free and great replacements for MS office.

Browsers. Safari is OK, but Firefox is better, if you run into some troublesome websites, try to view them if Firefox and they should be OK.

Anti Virus. While there aren't many Mac specific viruses around (expect more in the future as the platform gains popularity) the Mac can pass them on to PC users without you knowing. Have a look at ClamAV which is good and also free.

Hope this also helps :icon_thumright:

Depends on what you want but windows does everything a mac does plus more for less money doesnt it?

That used to be the case, but now Apple are using Intel chips the price has tipped the other way. A Sony Vaio is £150 more than a Macbook Pro.

yea i will have to give it ago,

is bootcamp allready installed with leopard ?

Should be, look for an application called "Boot Camp Assistant" in your Applications/Utilities folder.

just getting used to it,

Rick,

If you prefer to use a mouse, rather than the trackpad, just get yourself a 2-button mouse; it will work by default in OS X ! You can then right-click just as in Windoze. I use Apple's own Mighty Mouse.

I recommend getting the shareware mouse driver called Steermouse, as it gives you much more control over mouse settings, such as acceleration.
http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/