M6 Toll Road

PaulBelsham

Reaction score
I was wondering, from what I understand, the M6 toll road was built by a consortium of people, and is privately maintained. Therefore that makes it a private road surely. And if that's the case, then does the national speed limit apply, and do the police have any business being on that road if its not a government maintained motorway.

I could be completely wrong, but I was just wondering ?

I imagine that could be the case if the owners of the road wanted it police free - but I doubt the government would have let them built it! The owners would obviously want police on it too.

But good thought!

It was privatly built & is privatly operated, as for a private road that's just wishful thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Responsibility for roads usually either fall under local authortiy or Highways Agency (Government). The M40 is another road which is pravately operated..... you can certainly get nicked on there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

I was on it a couple of weeks ago, its a lovely road. So easy to speed on though, really wide and empty.

Just another reason why cruise control is essential for license retention

No lorries, no vans it's the best £2 you can spend a total bargain at 10p/mile

It's impossible not to. I think they should have reverse speed camera's to fine drivers for going too slow

Very true. Took the tollroad for a trip down to South Wales a couple of months ago in a B6 130 TDI, and it was so hard not to glide along at silly speed. Nice smooth tarmac too!

[ QUOTE ]
Drew 2226 said:
Very true. Took the tollroad for a trip down to South Wales a couple of months ago in a B6 130 TDI, and it was so hard not to glide along at silly speed. Nice smooth tarmac too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem with auto routes in france... nice roads are quiet therefore dangerous! laser jammer *cough* i mean gaage door opener anyone?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

If anyone asks me what the M6 tollroad is like, I tell 'em it's awful & not go go near it.

Know what I mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
If anyone asks me what the M6 tollroad is like, I tell 'em it's awful & not go go near it.

Know what I mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'v never seen a copper on it, just loads of souped up Audi's tanking it.

you could set up a meet on it! one end to the other then find a pub!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

not been on it yet.. gonna have to take a trip over to see my mate in stafford..

It is indeed a great road. It would be perfectly safe to test your S4 at speeds up to 160mph, if you wanted to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Not seen any Police on it yet. Sadly, like all good things, I expect that will come to an end.

It is a good road indeed.

I just wish there was no speed limit on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

what i love about it is, when u have paid, u can just bury the throttle and test your 0-100 (km or mph - as u wish!) time. last time i tried it, i seemed to quite suprise a chappy in a 911 coming out of an adjacent booth! by the time he clocked me and went for it, he had lost a coupla lengths and didnt quite recover enough. he seemed quite taken aback! lol. much fun and giggles!
i agree, best 2 quid ive spent, well 3 now.

My colleage was doing about 100mph in his S60T on the toll road when a Mondeo flew past him. Beinga competitive type, he was about to accelerate when he was swiftly overtaken by a Police car who pulled the Mondeo over.

Probably assumed my Volvo'd mate was a unmarked vehicle anyway.

Since he said it i've taken it easier.

Bring on the Garage openers as Rich said.

Is there a web site for unmarked police car spotting?
Maybe we could have a subsection in the spotters forum?
I got done once by a VW Bora on the M3, now that's just cheating. I thought it had to be a dark Vauxhall/Volvo/BMW or similar. Having said that there used to be an unmarked Red Impreza Turbo in the Winchester area, which has got to class as unfair provocation.

saw a blue lotus elise a while back on the a47! did have police stickers on it though! from a distance i thought wat the hell has that pratt done to his elise... then it got closer and i was well shocked... also heard the new evo is suppossed to be used not seen one though..

cheers tony

They had an evo a couple of years ago front end of it was just a normal red evo(6 i think)and from middle of car it was in rozzer colours it was also modded.The sods dont play fair nowa days.

Sure there is a website that collects info on unmarked cars.

think its same one with all the information about speed camera's

I used to live near the traffic cop shop so used to drive past once in a while just to see what they had they think there funny now using skoda octiva rs's.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything other than some general guidelines on what to look out for.
The difference is that speed camera locations are public domain, each authority has to publish the location of every camera, so it is relatively easy to compile a UK wide map. Unmarked cars aren't published and change all the time, so it would be down to Joe Public to provide the info.
If you find one please let us know.