M5 or RS4 avant??

drbru

Reaction score
Hi guys

New to this forum so would appreciate any help and advice you can give...

Ive been after a new car which can take the family and provide me with some "fun" on the weekend...

Im currently in search of an RS4 avant or M5 and have no more than 35K to spend.... I have to admit I am leaning towards the RS4 but there seem to be quite a lot of bargains out there for the m5....

in addition, I have not driven either yet but have heard great things about both...Please help me decide!

The car will obviously need to carry all the usual baby stuff and even do a yearly trip to the alps....

Really dont know which to get!

Any advice much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum mate! Firstly they are both great cars! The M5 is more powerful and you will have alot of fun in there as a weekend car. The RS4 is much safer with quattro, and if your on the alps on the twisties you'll find the rs4 has much more grip. I personally love the rs4, it looks fantastic, comfortable inside (ive sat in one) and has a better interior. The M5 would be faster, it will be fun to drive and yeah it is a family car but i have heard that the smg transmission on low speeds is abit jerky? If that was me, i would love to get the M5 as it would be such a laugh, but i think for all around practicallity i would choose the RS4 and plus i seen one the other day booting it down a main road, it sounded brutal! £35k should get you a decent RS4. Hope that helps abit.

B7 A4 Avant rear legroom is poor. Not sure on age of family that has to sit in back. I'm sure performance wise both cars will give the average driver more than enough of a thrill. I think however it will be the practicalities of the two that will decide it, not which is quicker top end or 0-60.

Different class of cars, the M5 is really RS6 size, so if space is an issue go for the BM. Personally i'd take the Audi, but after all you are on an Audi forum.

B7 A4 Avant rear legroom is poor. Not sure on age of family that has to sit in back. I'm sure performance wise both cars will give the average driver more than enough of a thrill. I think however it will be the practicalities of the two that will decide it, not which is quicker top end or 0-60.

I agree with this point. The B7 has very poor space in the rear in comparison to others in its class. However, I prefer the RS4 Avant (and that's coming from a big M5 fan).

Would the M5 be a touring? Assume so but this hasn't been mentioned I don't think. As said I think it's really down to how much usable space you require and if you're biased for RWD or AWD. You obviously need to drive both and really assess both cars from all view points. The M5 is obviously going to be a bit faster and possibly a bit lazier due to the size. I think there's about 200-250kg difference between the two, so really depends if you need the extra room. Both quite amazing cars though.

Last edited:
Why not go for the RS6, now that more of a proper comparison to an M5....in which case the RS6 wins in every way :p

M5 for me new rs4 is a bit IMO boring and is a fair bit slower i was suprized how much quicker my rs4 b5 is than the b7 mine has had the mrc touch thoe