1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lpg conversion

colhay Apr 23, 2005

1. colhay

colhay New Member

has anyone here done an lpg conversion on an s3

i know places advertise them but just looking for some past experiences of lpg

cheers

2. trekbiker

trekbiker Member

ha ha ha

Why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

3. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

why not just sell the s3 and get a diesel!!

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi RS3

You all go on about how much miles you get to the tank... therefore an LPG conversion would make sense for the eco-friendly among us.

Half the cost to fill up and apparently the same performance - makes perfect sense!

5. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver quattro Audi A3 Black Edition TDi

But doesn't an LPG conversion cost a couple of grand. Would that cost be re-couped?

6. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

and if your eco-friendly you dont drive an s3!!

7. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver quattro Audi A3 Black Edition TDi

Very good point. lol.

8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Half the cost to fill up until enough people are doing it when they'll stick more tax on. It's only more economical because it's taxed at half the rate of unleaded.

9. colhay

colhay New Member

I dont have an s3 yet but I just fancy upgrading my second car from my trusty astra to something a wee bit better

I dont want anything bigger than the astra but want something with a bit of poke so I thought about an s3

just thought lpg might be a good idea if Ill be doing a few miles in it and wondered if anyone could recomend it

I take it no one here has had it done then?

10. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'd imagine it would seriously devalue the car when it comes to sell it as I doubt there's a big S3/lpg market out there

11. imported_ashs3

imported_ashs3 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd imagine it would seriously devalue the car when it comes to sell it as I doubt there's a big S3/lpg market out there

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus you are going to loose even more boot space with the LPG tank and the S3 is allready short on this due to the rasied floor to make room for the Haldex!

12. i'm seriously considering an LPG conversion. Can then use it for normal driving then switch to optimax with a switch when I want to go a tad quicker.

Surely its worth it if you do a lot of driving? I spent about £1k on a CD player HU a couple of years ago, at least with this i'd be saving money.

I can imagine it devaluing the car as its a modification, but surely its a useful extra if required?

I'd not lose any boot space casue i'd put it in the spare wheel recess. If I get a flat, well i've got Green Flag to get me home where I can change it.
    Can I use it with a turbo'd engine?

13. ianhg

ianhg Member

the tank would be too big to put in the spare wheel housing, the tanks so much bigger than that.

14. colhay

colhay New Member

The one site I did look at for doing an lpg conversion offered a tank in the spare wheel space.might just have been a wee tank ;-)

15. ianhg

ianhg Member

you wont get very far on a tank full of wee

16. justin_1ss

justin_1ss Member

Hi there, i use lpg on my landrover, though i think the tank is a tad larger than what you are looking at, i fitted it myself and yes you can change between fuel and lpg, i have my fuel pump on a seperate switch though this is a simple system being a landrover! Hopefully u can see the size of the tank in the attched pic, its the green one by the way! [image]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/426fd33ez2b8adfe9/abercrombie_and_fitch_guyuk/__sr_/37e2.jpg?pfLS9bCBEmQlTYp8[/image]