LOWERING!!

Bushen

Driving with style
Reaction score
Hi guys....ive got an A4 1.8T sport on a set of 18 inch S8 wheels with 225/40 tyres on....8J.....now i know the standard ride height for the 1.8t sport is 40mm lower than the standard A4 but ive just ordered a set of 60mm lowering springs....now will this drop my car by 60mm from where it is now....or will it just drop it by 20mm?? Also if it does drop it by 60mm from where it is now....how do you think it will look and what about rubbing etc??

They will lower 20mm more than what you have now...

Sports are 20mm lower than stock, not 40.

The 60mm figure will be based on the non-sport ride height.

IMO it will probably look far too low, but then i dont like "slammed" cars.

Rubbing will depend on the wheel size and offset.

I think the offset is 8x18?? is that the offset or 8J....im not too sure....thanks for the correction...i always thought it was 40mm.

Cue me! lol

8x18 = 8" wide by 18" diameter. You need to be looking for an 'ET' value stamped in the back somewhere.

60mm will (sorry, should) be fine.

You shouldn't have a problem with rubbing with 225's on. I run 215's just in case! But, it does depend on the offset, as previously mentioned. If they are ET45/48 and you'll be fine. :icon_thumright:

With coils and 225's, he'd have to get spacers for the rears for sure...

Well the wheels ive got are the diamond polished ones from the S8....so dont know if anyone knows the offset of them off the top of their heads....and thankyou geeman....i learn something new everyday haha.....i was thinking coils but....money wise and i would change my mind every two secs and i would keep adjusting the height every minute lol.....so you guys reckon it will look good or will look too stupidly lowered??

Its personal taste mate.

I prefer a car with a subtle amount of lowering (see CraigG's "new pics" thread for an example of what i'd consider the perfect ride height)

Some people (like Geeman ;)) prefer their cars much lower, but i feel that this is putting looks and styling before function.

You just need to decide how you want the car to look/drive, and view examples of different cars before making a choice. Also bear in mind different manufacturers springs will vary in both quality and the amount of lowering provided.

Get some coils

X2, My 1.8 had been lowered by the last owner, don't know what the springs where but they killed the shocks, one was bent & the other was damaged (no oil left) T rear were also in a bad state. There was a post on here about cheap ish coilovers off ebay, which would be the best way to lower the car IMO.

define best though?

Most cheap coilover kits end up far too harsh, because they're designed for people to slam the car into the floor, which then requires a high spring rate to stop it bottoming out.

On the flipside, spending 5-600quid on a properly matched shock/spring kit, will return a car that drives as smoothly as it did from the factory, but that stiffens up nicely thru the twisties giving you more confidence to push on without smashing your spine to pieces.

Fitting lowering springs might well give the shocks a harder time, but the fact that your car had a set of completely knackered shocks says more about the idiot that owned it before you, than the lowering springs.... I've owned a few cars in the past that have been lowered on standard shocks, and the shocks didnt explode or fail in the way you've described, and if they had, i'd have noticed, and changed them! Sure the car did handle much better when i finally swapped them out for proper shocks though.

My guess is the springs damaged the shocks rather than the damage was already done before the lowering spring, also these looked like cheap springs as all the paint had come off and they were covered in rust.

Agreed a good set of shocks and springs would be a good move, but I guess my point is unless the shocks are in very good condition and have not been on the car from manufacture you would be better off replacing the lot..

yeh i basically want the car to sit just above the tyres so i can see the whole of the tyre and wheel....that way it still looks lowered but not a stupid amount....do you guys reckon the 60mm springs ive ordered then will be too much? As the sport is already lower than the standard a4 will i be lowering my car by an extra 40mm or an extra 60mm from where it is now as im a bit confused? lol

And yeh CraigG ride height is my perfect ride height also!!

craigs is approx 20-30mm lower than the normal S4 height

When you buy "60mm" springs, the 60mm is based on a normal, non-sport car.

If your car is a Sport its already lowered 20mm, so your 60mm springs will lower the car 40mm more than its current height.

I suspect that you will end up a little lower than craigs car, but the exact ride height can vary wildly depending on the spring manufacturer and the exact spec of your car. Some have fitted 40mm kits and found it barely changed, others have fitted 60mm and found it in the weeds.

Aftermarket Companies will produce one spring, and say its for 1.6 1.8 1.8T and 1.9TDi engines. These engines all weigh different amounts and the cars also have differing specs (AC for example adds a bit of weight). Audi on the otherhand has a spring designed specifically for each model, so its much more consistent.

Ok Aragorn thanks very much for your information....very very useful and thanks to everyone else whos commented its most appreciated.