1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony gold

Tony gold Member

Would i need tie bars if i lowered my s3 8L 30mm

2. mattmackenzie

mattmackenzie Member

3. Tony gold

Tony gold Member

ok cheers

4. Tony gold

Tony gold Member

Has anyone got any pic's of there car lowered 30mm, cheers Tony

5. L4V15

L4V15 Member

Im risking it on Saturday without tie bars. Im imagining it cant possibly be that bad otherwise they wouldn't sell the Apex 30mm springs would they? I know it will put the camber out a bit but im sure it would be bareable. Everyone lowers them 25mm dont they without tie bars? An extra 5mm cant make all the difference can it? Anybody got pics of lowered s3's without tie bars?

6. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

Mine's been lowered 30mm, didn't change the tie bars, had no issues with tyre wear or handling. Been through a few sets since lowering too :)

7. Tony gold

Tony gold Member

Any chance you could post some pic's up so i could have a look,cheers bud

8. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

No matter how far you lower the S3 it's always best to get adjustable tie bars and not only because of the camber but the extra pressure that your putting on the standard bars in a position they weren't designed for.

Damian @ DPM Performance

9. scoobyra

scoobyra It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Lowered mine 25mm using H&Rs but don't have any tie bars yet. TBH, the rear of my car hasn't really dropped that much and the camber doesn't look a lot different.

10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I have -30mm Apex on mine... rear camber went to around -2.5deg and looked like a VW Beetle!!... now dialled into a more conservative -1.5deg camber and the rear tyres have done 25k and are about 2mm from the wear lines...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<tuffty/>

11. DPM

The S3 is looking nice Tuffy!

Damian @ DPM Performance

12. Donny_DJ

Donny_DJ Active Member

Good news Mike! U got them on then. Any pics before and after mate?

13. Tony gold

Tony gold Member

Cheers for the pic's,your car looks good m8y,what size wheels do you have on the car as i've got 18's on mine
    Cheers

Tony

14. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

I would like buy adjustable suspension -35/65mm, so after read this thread I think that I will need new shorter tie bars to front and to rear side.
    Am I right? Nothing else what I must replace?
    New rear tie bars I found about £20 for pair but adjustable tie bars cost £250. Anybody found cheaper? I dont need adjustable I think, only shorter.
    Thank you.

15. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

You need adjustable tie bars. You cant acurately predict how far the camber is going to be thrown out by lowering the car so you need adjustable tie bars so you can "bespoke" fit your car if you see what i mean. If you read above you can see Tufty lowered his car 30mm on Apex springs which resulted in 2.5 degrees negative camber. I only lowered mine 25mm on H&R springs but I had 3 degrees negative camber...

16. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...placement-too-adjustable-camber-arms-how.html

17. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

So if I understand correctly..
    If I want fit adjustable suspension I need only replace two rear bars (red on picture) for adjustable bars (set good camber on it) and dont mind for anything else? green one is not important?
    [​IMG]

18. s3dave

Correct but i would put it on the top tie bar

19. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

change top tie bar for adjsutable is better than bottom tie bar?
    For lowering more 30mm (about 50mm) must be also changed 4x green (stabilizing) bars for shorter?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  20. s3dave

It has been noted on other forums that the bottom bar is better solid, and make the top bar adjustable (less stress on the driveshaft)
    Not sure if you need to change the stabiliser droplinks (green) mine seem ok as standard and have a 60mm drop

21. Alex C

the green bit youve circled is the drop link for the rear anti roll bar, nothing to do with your tie arms or camber adjustment

22. kachnak

kachnak Active Member

23. Alex C

24. DPM

Forge are the more popular choice and also come with a life time warranty. Give me a shout if you'd like a price.

Damian @ DPM Performance

25. cess3

cess3 New Member

OT but the S3 looks soooo much better with the outside of the grill done black! :happy: