Lowering the S4

Booth_S4

Riding on V8 power
Reaction score
ive just ordered some new 19" rims for the s4, which ones im not going to divuldge, ill put some pics up when they arrive and have been fitted so ill keep you in suspense for now!!

Im wanting to lower the car on just springs but im finding it quite hard to figure out how low to go and what springs to use.

has anyone ggot any recommendations on the above at all. I was thinking H&R but on their website they only seem to do a 40mm drop and i think this may be a bit too much.

what you all think?

Having the same sort of problem myself!!

There doesn't seem to be much choice when going down the spring only route....

I'm only planning on running 18" wheels so think 40mm may not be enough....

Once there on, your stuck with the ride height, like it or not (although anythings better than the standard height)....

Coilovers are a bit too expensive....but the mm perfect stance can be achieved with the correct spacers....

I've also been told that when running lowering springs, the shocks came in for a bit more stick, so are prone to going. I don't want to buy my springs and pay for them to be fitted, and 6 months down the line have to buy new shocks, and pay a hefty bill again!!

If this were to happen i would be p***ed off as I could have had coilovers for less money and achieved not only a better ride hight, but a better ride also!!

Its a dilemmer that I've given much thought recently and i think the only way to go is coilovers....think i may have to sell my BIG brake kit to pay for some....but i'll give it a bit more thought yet! lol!!

RyanJon

Don't forget guys - the figures quoted are the amount the springs will lower a standard car! The S4 is much lower already so a 40mm drop might not make a lot of difference!(I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you the exact figures!

Richard :salute:

Don't forget guys - the figures quoted are the amount the springs will lower a standard car! The S4 is much lower already so a 40mm drop might not make a lot of difference!(I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you the exact figures!

I think the 40mm drop will mean a 40mm drop as the s4 has to use specific lowering springs that are different to any other b6 due to the axle weights involved with carrying a big V8 around. I spoke at length to the lovely chap behind the counter at awesome-gti and went through all the different options for lowering mine. The cheapest coilovers they could source were around the £750 IIRC, and he could only find one set of lowering springs to fit the S4.

RyanJon

Could you not get a combined set of lowered springs/performance shocks for less than the cost of coilovers? I'm guessing at £500-£600?

Could you not get a combined set of lowered springs/performance shocks for less than the cost of coilovers? I'm guessing at £500-£600?

You could do but you would then be stuck with the set height that they provide, so wouldn't be able to tweak the stance to suit your needs and they would cost nearly as much as a set of coilovers.....theres only one way to go for me......

RyanJon

ive just been on the phone to awesome for quite some time discussing different options. They are going to do me some AP coilovers fitted for £730......now considering that H&R springs alone are around £250 it seems like a bit of a no brainer really not to go for coilovers.!!!

You could do but you would then be stuck with the set height that they provide, so wouldn't be able to tweak the stance to suit your needs and they would cost nearly as much as a set of coilovers.....theres only one way to go for me......

RyanJon

Makes sense :thumbsup: Dig deep!!

They are going to do me some AP coilovers fitted for £730

That sounds like a top deal.......if only i had a spare £730......any one wanna buy an ECS stage 4 brake kit??lol??
Does that price include laser alignment once their done????

Just been searching for info on lowering my S4 cab. Has anyone actually done just lowering springs on their s4?

That would be excellent thanks. 2004 04 S4 cabriolet. :arco:

Cheers Damian - :icon_thumright:

i will see how the ££ runs out next month! Millteks and service this month. :music: