1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Springs

a3daveo Feb 27, 2006

1. a3daveo

a3daveo Member

Hi

thinking of lowering my car (just replacing the springs) and I was looking around at the choices of springs available. Its a 1997 1.6.

I know the majority of you guys will advise on Eibach but what do you make of the ones available on Eba like these ?

Was also looking at the Koni's?

Any views at all?

Cheers

Daveo

2. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

That isn't cheap in my opinion, have a look at www.motorsportworld.co.uk for some other choices - they seem to be very cheap for the stuff I've been looking around at.

3. keendean

keendean Member

I'm going for H&R springs used em before on my vw's

4. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

would this have any effect on the audi warranty?

5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

I'll be going for the Bilstein / H&R combination, but it seems you need to have the adjustable tie rods for the rear if you're actually going for a handling improvement so I'll be waiting until I can afford to get the whole lot done at once along with the ARBs.

6. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

If you want to retain some ride quality i would deffinately go for Eibach or H&R, I had Eibach on my A4 and ive got H&R on my S3 both are excellent. My experience of cheaper alternatives is that they dont do development work, they just take the standard spring settings and increase the stiffness by 20% or so and reduce the length of the spring. This generally results in poor ride quality.

7. Timbo

Timbo Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

[ QUOTE ]
    ... it seems you need to have the adjustable tie rods for the rear if you're actually going for a handling improvement...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Needless to say only on the Quattros... FWD have much simpler trailing arm/torsion beam setup and hence no tie rods to adjust (as the original post was about a 1.6 I would presume it's FWD).

I bought my springs & dampers from motorsportworld and I found them to be helpful and friendly as well as cheap!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif