1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Springs

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by turbodan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. turbodan

turbodan Member

[Sep 1, 2005]
    Just bought a set of 18" Audi RS4 Replicas for 1999 1.9 TDI Sport, realisticlly how much will i be able to lower the ride without the tyres scrubbing the arches?

Also how much do people pay for arches rolling?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. s3tle

s3tle Member

[Sep 1, 2005]
    if you only want to buy springs not coilovers then your have no problem with the arches rubbing what ever springs you get, i think the lowest springs you can get are 55mm, although that is really a true 55mm when they are actually on the car. What you will have a problem with is the front anti roll bar, if you go lower than 35 or 40mm it will knock on the driveshafts, new anti roll bars which allow you to go lower are about 150 quid. to get the tyres to start to rub about 70 or 80mm should do it!!
  4. turbodan

turbodan Member

[Sep 2, 2005]
    Just seen my Mates Audi A3, he has 19" RSR's and coilover suspension fitted, but its ridiculously low and always rubs on the arches.

I asked him about lowering springs and he told me not to bother because it buggers up the sensors or something?!

Is there any truth in this? obviously coilovers will be much better than springs but i dont have £500+ to spend!

Just wont to know if lowering my A3 by 35mm - 40mm would be a bad move?

If not, then what springs are recommended?
  5. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Sep 2, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just seen my Mates Audi A3, he has 19" RSR's and coilover suspension fitted, but its ridiculously low and always rubs on the arches.

[/ QUOTE ]

No surprise there...

[ QUOTE ]

I asked him about lowering springs and he told me not to bother because it buggers up the sensors or something?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Utter drivel.

[ QUOTE ]

Is there any truth in this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. None...the man's a fool.

[ QUOTE ]

obviously coilovers will be much better than springs but i dont have £500+ to spend!

[/ QUOTE ]

No they won't...a cheap set of coilovers will be worse than standard in many cases.
    A decent set of lowered springs and decent dampers will often out-handle a set of coilovers as people use the coilovers to makie the car 'look' right, not to corner weight it for better handling...
    Just assuming that coilovers = great hendling is wrong...most often people get the settings wrong on coilovers and the car is awful to drive...in this instance a decent set of lowering springs and dampers will give better results.

However, fitting lowered springs on standard dampers - especially worn standard dampers - isn't a good idea as the dampers won't be up to the job.

[ QUOTE ]

Just wont to know if lowering my A3 by 35mm - 40mm would be a bad move?

[/ QUOTE ]

No...but if you are using the standard dampers expect it to bounce about a bit.
  6. turbodan

turbodan Member

[Sep 5, 2005]
    Cheers mate, thats the best forum reply ive ever had!