1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering springs

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by snoopi, Feb 6, 2012.

1. snoopi

snoopi New Member

[Feb 6, 2012]
    Hi

Jus want some advice about springs, wanted to lower my car and a garage near me said they will do springs and fitting altogether for £200 is this a good price ? And is it ok just to have springs for lowering? Thanks

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.548210,-1.193910
  2. moag

moag she's no d-turbo

[Feb 6, 2012]
    Thats a good price. What springs were they offering?

Eibach sportlines or H&R springs are the way to go
  3. Indy

Indy Member

[Feb 6, 2012]
    Seems a good price.

Garage near me charges £49.95 per side for spring fitting.

My rule is upto 35mm standard shocks will be fine.

If lowering 50mm + I'd change the shocks soon after fitting the springs.

I'm going to lower my sport on 35mm H&R springs (20mm net lowering) and I don't intend on changing the shock absorbers.
  4. snoopi

snoopi New Member

[Feb 9, 2012]
    sorry about the late reply, i cant really remeber which makes he told me but he was offering a few different ones, i will ask for the h&r's. mines sline so i think its got abit of drop already compared to standard a3's so should i just get 35mm? im not a reacer and wont be using it for anything like that, will be going over a lot of bumps so dont want it hitting the ground :blackrs4:
  5. P80RSY

P80RSY New Member

[Feb 9, 2012]
    IMO I'd leave it as it is had 3 cars now dropped on springs and as I'm now older and wiser I'd say it ruins the ride quality yes it dose look better and I have tried three makes h&r pi and eibach the h&r's were the best but as far as cost I paid about 200 for my mk5 gti for just the springs. Save the extra cash and get some pro street coilovers.
  6. Indy

Indy Member

[Feb 9, 2012]

Coilovers aren't the best option for everyone.

I've ran coilovers for the past 4 years, constantly adjusting and maintaining them. Now I'm at the stage where I'd rather fit springs and then forget about them as if they were fitted from factory. No adjustment or maintenance needed.

35mm will be absolutely fine. This is based on SE height. If you have a sport, it will only lower 20mm as the sport is already 15mm lower than SE. 35mm will make it a tad lower than a standard S-Line.