1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Springs or Coilies?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by MrTackalakalaka, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JoeD

JoeD Member

I'm looking to replace the FK's on my S3. Not looking to go budget again, so don't mind spending that "bit extra". Are Bilstein's some of the best coilies available for the 8l S3? Would the majority rate KW's as the best availible?
  2. MrTackalakalaka

MrTackalakalaka Member

Ive heard nothing but good things about Bilstein's, KWs and Weitecs. KW and Weitecs are pretty much the same as Weitec are made by KW (apparently). Im going for the weitec hicon tx coilovers now but if it wasn't them id definitely go for KW's or Bilsteins!
  3. JoeD

JoeD Member

Cheers for the reply mate, like you said, I've only heard good things about Blistein's too, but they are up the higher end of the coilie spectrum. Having had FK's and been at the budget end of thing's, I'd like to try something of a higher quality just to see if there is any difference in cost>quality. At least if there isn't, I will know personally and can then at least relay my experience to others. Any further opinions would be appreciated, as always.
  4. MrTackalakalaka

MrTackalakalaka Member

I think a lot of peoples go for the lower end of coil overs because of the price........they still do the same job as more expensive coil overs but then, i think like anything........the more you spend the better the quality. I don't really like the quality of the ride you get out of cheap coil overs. I always went for JOMs or FKs in the past but after getting in my friends Supra the other week and feeling the difference with his coil overs i now know why you should spend that bit extra. The ride was so much better than my previous coil overs I've had.

At the end of the day i think its personal preference on what coil overs you get. As you say......if you have a little extra to spend, why not go for it
  5. feck_on_a_stick

feck_on_a_stick Member

Probably a numpty question here, but how much do bhp and torque figures over standard need to be taken into account when choosing coilovers, particularly the cheaper makes?

I've only slightly modified mine (remap, B5, decat, 007p) but may choose to try to go for 300/350bhp if I keep the car longer term.

Never owned a car with coilovers before so apologies if it's a completley stupid question.

Edit to add: Not looking to go stupidly low, just 35/40mm max, which is why I'm torn between coilovers or good shocks/springs
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. MrTackalakalaka

MrTackalakalaka Member

Ive thought about that too loads of times!

Im not really sure either......

Only thing i can guess is more expensive ones have probably been developed a lot more to withstand the abuse being thrown at them.
    I would imagine cheaper ones would probably wear a bit faster? (just a guess)

If your looking at them performance wise for racing etc......then i guess you would have to go to the more expensive side as then you can get into the fun of adjusting the dampers rebound rate etc.

As i said though I'm not sure as I'm only a novice so all of the above could be ****! but you never know......

haha
  7. DPM

DPM Well-Known Member Site Sponsor

No problem, just let me know and I'm sure we'll be able to get the best deal for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance
  8. D11nyd

D11nyd Member

Hi Damian I've had some jom coilovers of you in the past for my mk5 golf tdi
    can you hold of some for my Audi s3 8l chassis?
    Ifso how much
    thanks
    danny
  9. DPM

DPM Well-Known Member Site Sponsor

Morning,

No JOM don't do a kit for the S3 but we do have the FK AK Street for £225.00 inc. VAT.

Damian @ DPM Performance
  10. MrTackalakalaka

MrTackalakalaka Member

So there it is.........

Ive just ordered my Coilovers. I went for a set of Weitec Hicon TX's. Also ordered a set of KW rear tie arms to go with it.

Thanks to Graeme at GNJ Motorsport for his help and info.

Pics to follow in the next week or so!!
    fanta likes this.