Lowering Springs & Insurance

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been speaking with my Insurance company (AXA) about the validity of my insurance if I change the springs on the car for H&R's. Online it states what is and what isn't covered and on the subject of suspension alterations it states "Not Covered."
Suspension alterations though can be a broad term and does replacing broken springs, for example with non genuine Audi components, count as a "modification" if the ride height is altered in any way?
The response I got was "As long as the part fitted is made for that vehicle and does not enhance the performance then it would be fine".To me then that means they don't have an issue with the car sitting lower as long as it doesn't go around corners 10mph faster.
What do you think then, should I just do it?

I would wait for your policy to run out and switch to a more mod friendly insurer. I have had 2 policies cancelled there and then as a result of suspension changes.

That's 10 months away though and tbh it's hard enough finding an insurer for the S3 with my postcode as it is!

I wouldn't change your suspension at all then. If your already having difficulty insuring it, then you might find it impossible once the modification is done. If your current insurer only allows standard equipment, then you either drive uninsured, or your policy get cancelled and you cant drive at all. Not worth the risk.

Leave it 10 months and try other insurers is your only viable option.

But then they do allow different alloys and stainless exhausts amongst other things. I do understand though that insurance companies don't need an excuse not to pay out so I take on board where your coming from, that's why I wanted it clarifying beforehand

Yeah, I see where your coming from. I'll give you an example as happened to me.

I had a mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T, and before modding it, I called my insurer and gave them all the details of all the mods I was going to do, just to see what difference it made. No problems at this point. (Insurer was Admiral at the time).

So did all the mods, including turbo back exhausts, turbo swaps etc... basically +100 BHP and +130 lbft. These modifications were all okay, as were the alloys. Then when I added the coilovers, instantly my cover was cancelled, no ifs, no butts, no time to explain, straight away, before she had even let me respond the button had been pressed to cancel the policy. This was 11 months in, and lost all that NCB. I spoke to the manager and he agreed that so long as I didn't drive the car for the 4 weeks, he would re-instate the policy until its end thus saving my NCD. I then had to swap insurer at the end of the policy term.

Then again, on my wifes A3. H&R springs were added, and again, straight away the policy was cancelled. No hanging around.

If your insurer says they dont cover the mod, and you cant switch insurer, then you cant do the mod.

Never encountered that level of harshness lol!, but I do usually run H&R springs on my cars without problems. A simple yes or no from AXA would of been fine, but leaving it up to interpretation just adds confusion.
Thanks for your input

I would call and ask to speak to a manager to clarify the point before fitting. I went with flux this year and not only were they cheaper but when I asked about a few mods I had in mind I was told aslong as you tell them and that it doesn't affect performance they don't mind and it will not affect my premium

ju i personally would just do it mate and sat nowt

Yeah, trouble is now that I've mentioned it, it's on record!
I would also think there are loads of people out there who just do it and never say anything. I think the best thing is to get a definitive yes or no from someone higher up the chain.
At the end of the day I'm not interested in making it go faster, I just rate the H&R's as a better ride and a little drop in ride hide wouldn't go amiss!

Cheers for the comments guys!

And drive about uninsured? That's pretty responsible?

And drive about uninsured? That's pretty responsible?
i know what your saying fella but come on he prob only wants to lower it 35 mm with it being a s3 . mind after the experience you have had i can see your point fella , pretty harsh on you to say the least

I had lowering springs on my old Leon when someone hit it and nothing was said ;)

i know what your saying fella but come on he prob only wants to lower it 35 mm with it being a s3

25mm are the H&R's so not a lot and tbh it's as much for the ride quality as the appearance. I'm not doing anything though without approval as it's not worth it on an expensive car.

Lowered an old Corrado.
Didnt declare, Binned it, no hassle.

Lowered previous S3, didnt bin it.
No hassle.

Low risk gamble.
Still a gamble though.

Lower it, dont declare, and buy a scratch card.
And that.

Last edited:
I do Need a little H&R back in my life lol! How you liking yours now Cal?
Loving it m8, its so much smoother drive now , even over
The bumps, i often wonder why the so called wizkids at
Audi couldnt get the springs right, The car now seems better
Connected with the road, steering is more responsive,
Wish id done this years ago
Cars getting tracking done tomorrow morning,