Lowering Springs Fitting Guide

Japtastic

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Just got some H+R springs and spacers from DPM, going to do the work my self, is there a howto guide floating around anywhere? Or if not is there anything special I should know?

i wouldnt have thought they would be that hard to do i did some on my old ford and they were easy

Fronts are big enough job mate iirc, I just left it to the pros wasn't expensive

Got a friend that's a mechanic so might call on his help, be just handy if there was a guide floating around on the net somewhere but it appears not.

Best bet is to just crack on a have a go, its easy. The rear is just 1 bolts and job done, the front are a little more tricky but still easy.

i took front driveshafts out the hubs and did it that way.......not a very bad job at all imo_OH and i replaced the top mounts ...worth doing that,cuz if its knocking at the front......its same job again!

Agree with above, the rears are easy, just remove the one bolt to drop the lower arm down and remove the spring, replace and jack the lower arm back up to put the bolt back in. I removed the outer bolt, as the inner bolt has the offset washer for camber adjustment on it (I have a quattro, so not sure if this apples to 2wd as well). Also, if you have xennons, be careful to make sure that the headlamp levelling sensor goes back with the arm in the right direction so that it can still move up and down. I missed this when raising the lower arm and managed to get the sensor arm stuck the wrong way round, cost me £30 at a local independent when the headlights wouldn't raise up!
The fronts were a bit of a 'mare to be honest, you need a BIG mallet to knock the hub assembly off the bottom of the damper, and there's not much room to manouver the damper out of the wheel arch, I managed to pull one drive shaft out by accident (it would have been quicker and easier to remove this first) which then meant removing the under tray from the engine and replacing the grease and circlip from the shaft (which was remarkably easy).

As you can probably tell, I'm no mechanic... Still one wheel alignment and headlamp diagnostic check later all is well. :)

Col

better to take off complete hub with damper on the front,alot easier than trying to take damper off hub assembly,then after a couple of days get the alignment checked.