Lowering my S3 help!

ibiss359

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a newbie here, my ibis white s3 is currently being built and will be ready in about 6 weeks. Meanwhile I have bought some 18" speedline turinis which i am getting sprayed black.

I'm looking to lower the car so that the wheels sit nicely in the arches, but i'm unsure of what i'll need. How much should i lower the car by to make it look its best, will 25 mm be enough? I see alot of banter about H&R springs, do i need springs and shocks? Anyone have any other ideas?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Hi mate,

Just to clear things up, is your S3 the 8P model or the 8L? Ibis White is obviously an 8P colour, so if you do have the current 8P shape then you've posted this in the wrong forum! :sm4:

If on the other hand you have an 8L S3 and are getting it sprayed Ibis White then I'd definately like to the end result! :)

Onto the suspension if you have the 8L........

Be propared to spend a lot of money, lowering these cars isn't exactly cheap! If your after a nice low stance where the arches just sit above the tyres then you will need coilovers. No shock and spring kit available offers that much of a drop. In order to get this look I'd say you need to drop the car around 60mm on 18's. I have 18's on mine with coilovers that are lowered about 40mm and I still want it lower. Coilovers start from around £435 (which I paid for my AP coilovers, which are actually made in the same german factory as KW's, and can highly recommend them!) to anything over a grand for KW's or H&R's.

If you go any lower than 25mm on the S3's you need to get adjustable rear tie rods as anything lower than 25mm will cause the rear wheels to have some serious negative camber and will hamper handling massively and destroy the inside tread of your tyres. So fitting adjustable rear tie rods will allow the camber to be adjusted. These are generally around £250-£300 for either Forge rods or KW's like I have depending on where you buy them from.

Then, once this is all fitted you will have to have the 4 wheel laser geomtry set up done as lowering the s3's upsets the geometry. This costs around £60-£100, again depending on where you get it done.

Hope that helps!
Az.

yep sorry, my mistake i'll repost in the 8p forum! doh!:wacko:

Thanks for your time with this, although i'll need to repost in the 8p forum i'm sure your advice will still be appreciated...

Thanks again!

No problem mate. I couldn't tell you if its a simular story with the 8P's though, hopefully not for your sake! :laugh: