1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOWERING KITS

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Graze, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Graze

Graze Member

[Jun 23, 2005]
    i need info on lowering kits if anyone can help i want to lower car approx 40/50 mm and have been told in order to do so will have to buy adjustable links for rear of car,has anybody lowered by 50mm and if so what kit was used or recomended thankssorry forgot to say car is s3 2001 model

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Jun 24, 2005]
    why oh why oh why lower a s3 by 50mm ?????????????

20-25 is best for handling
  4. clarko

clarko Member

[Jun 24, 2005]
    i lowered mine with eibach springs alone, my shocks have only covered 30k so i am hoping they are ok, this is the cheapest option. i was told though that i need the adjustable links at the rear to prevent tyre wear as i believe it changes the camber.

money no option??? coilovers!!, i know jabba sport do the adjustable rear thingies on an exchange basis...
  5. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jun 24, 2005]
    as said lowering it too much will upset the handling as the wishbones wont be operating in the correct range for the geometry of the suspension.

Most kits only lower it be 25-35mm so you would probably have to go for coilovers. Just stay out of the potholes with these.
  6. Graze

Graze Member

[Jun 24, 2005]
    Just think that 25 30mm doesnt look all that graet an improvement my brothers is lowered 30 mm with eibach springs and i think it would look loads better if it was down anouther 10mm or even 15mm as for the geometry surley with adjustable bars this would be compisatted,so the car was running the rite camber again,or am i wrong all feedback welcome
  7. aaerica

aaerica New Member

[Jun 25, 2005]
    Id choose coilovers for that ride height. Moderate lowering springs are fine but once you get past 30mm on std shocks the ride becomes quite harsh. I have FK Silverline Coilovers on my A4 and whils being firm they are still comfortable. Bilstein Streetline Kit is a budget alternative id recoment but only lower about 30 mil
  8. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jun 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just think that 25 30mm doesnt look all that graet an improvement my brothers is lowered 30 mm with eibach springs and i think it would look loads better if it was down anouther 10mm or even 15mm as for the geometry surley with adjustable bars this would be compisatted,so the car was running the rite camber again,or am i wrong all feedback welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you get to 30mm lower, you'll need the rear tie bars - less than that if you bother about handling and tyre wear.

Anything more than 30mm lower and you risk taking your sump off. mine was well scuffed on a 25mm lower car. Be warned...you may be lucky...you may not.
  9. clarko

clarko Member

[Jun 27, 2005]
    oh yeah i didnt even mention the sump, I have twatted mine twice now in a month, gotta be real careful on uneven country roads... and mine has only been dropped 25mm ish.... if you do drop further just be carefull, the lowest point is by the sump plug so i dont think it could take too much abuse..
  10. nicks3

nicks3 Member

[Jun 27, 2005]
    What are the abt springs like......how hard are they and can you post any pictures from the side. Where did you buy these from?
  11. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jun 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What are the abt springs like......how hard are they and can you post any pictures from the side. Where did you buy these from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite happy with them - been on the car for 2 weeks now. The ride is nowhere near as harsh as the Bilstein Sprintline setup I have on the Ibiza which is all setup for track use so I live with it.
    I don't have any piccies at the moment - but will take some tonight providing it is still light when I get home.
    I got them via the trading post on the site earlier this year - think I paid £125 for them and they were brand new. IIRC ABT pulled out of the UK so I guess these must have been sold off when they left.
  12. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jun 27, 2005]
    Here is a link to a couple of shots taken tonight. ABT springs, lowered by 15mm.
    Click
  13. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

[Jun 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Here is a link to a couple of shots taken tonight. ABT springs, lowered by 15mm.
    Click

[/ QUOTE ]

thats only 15mm ?
    would never of thought it would make such a visual difference!

How much did it cost to get them changed over or did you DIY?
  14. nicks3

nicks3 Member

[Jun 27, 2005]
    That looks great, not too much.

Any bouncing/skipping at the front end on bumps?
  15. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Jun 28, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    thats only 15mm ?
    would never of thought it would make such a visual difference!
    How much did it cost to get them changed over or did you DIY?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, only 15mm so I'm told.
    I got Autotechnik in Southampton to fit them - 2 hours labour, so about £110 all in.
  16. clarko

clarko Member

[Jun 28, 2005]
    if you are fitting just springs DIY fella, I am no expert with a spanner and it was a piece of pi$$. took me and my dad about an hour and a half without ramps etc, although i do have air tools. i think without an airgun it will be almost impossible to get the tops off the front shocks.

rears took about 10 minutes each! was amazed how easy that was! fronts are a little more complex, dont forget spring compressors!
  17. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jun 28, 2005]
    Also, best to disconnect the ESP roll sensor rods when changing suspension...especially at the rear.
    Otherwise whilst forcing things around to get the old stuff off, you can easily break the sensor arms.
    Ask me how I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif