Lowering car 40mm - Spacers required?

stuiwhite

Reaction score
Good afternoon all!

I am having my car lowered Saturday on 40mm Springs,

My car has the standard 16" wheels (Like these on ebay: Genuine Audi A4 16 inch Alloy Wheel and 205/55 R16 BridgestoneTyre 6mm | eBay)

The Offset is ET42,

Will i need spacers after lowering or will the wheels be fine?

I just don't have the money yet to by new wheels ....

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Stuart

Should be fine on 16" wheels. What width are you tyres? People have 45mm drops with 18" & 19" rims all the time with no rubbing issues so you should be well within your limits.

Hi!

The wheels are exactly the ones in the eBay link, so they are: [h=1]205/55 R16[/h]
I was more concerned about the inside of the wheel making contact with the inner arch?

Or will the spring not cause enough camber to make this occur?

Really appreciate your advice :)

Stuart

stuiwhite:1672908 said:
Hi!

The wheels are exactly the ones in the eBay link, so they are: [h=1]205/55 R16[/h]
I was more concerned about the inside of the wheel making contact with the inner arch?

Or will the spring not cause enough camber to make this occur?

Really appreciate your advice :)

Stuart

You will be fine thats not a big drop !!

Thanks guys - really appreciate your help,

I put my hand behind the wheel and was just worried that if camber was going to occur too much it would rub on inside.

You guys think the following would cause any undesired effects after lowering 40mm:

Fronts:
8.5" X 19" ET35
Rears: 9.5" X 19" et35

Again - really appreciate you putting my mind at ease!

*Will post pics up when all done and fitted if you think ill be ok​
:)

Stu

not sure on the 9.5", but I've got 8.5" 19" with 235/35/19 lowered 30mm and no issues at all. I know 45mm drops with 235/35/19 is common and causes no problems, ont sure about 9.5" though... it might be close.

What engine do you have? For the additional cost of tyres etc you might be better off with 8.5" for piece of mind RE the clearance and also costs when it comes to putting rubber on them... if you don't need the additional width?

Most alloy wheel places will say 9.5" is too wide for the B7, thats what they told me anyway, but what you want is someone with them fitted to give you a real summary of any problems they've had. Any reason you'd pick the 9.5" over the 8.5"??

the 9.5 look better

Some of the yanks run 10 with coils all the way down but I think they have rolled and pulled the arches a little

They do looks better, but a lot of people wouldn't notice the difference between 8.5" and 9.5" unless you pointed it out to them.

Do you know if the 9.5" fit alright when its lowered Bez?

Its some BBS LMs that are staggered im looking at ;-) common on these i know but i love the look.

I was given a pic of identical car to mine (1.9 tdi SE) by a dealer.

Ill put up the pic when i am not on my iPad.

Cheers guys i appreciate all your input!

Stuart

Image sent to me:

Hello B7 owners!

Well finally had car lowered 40mm and fitted some 19" BBS LM Reps.....

Car is not too low and is very useable. Offset is ET35 and think it looks great!

Here's a before and after of my car!

Audi Changes2

I went with 40mm Springs from Apex,

I did a lot of reading across many different forums and the reviews were mixed.

I have had no trouble with them and think they are just fine :)