1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering Audi A3 8L - Problems

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by N4THW, May 1, 2011.

1. N4THW

N4THW Member

Hello peeps few other q's.

I'm buying coilovers today, I want to go for the cheapest coilovers possible as well, which are the cheapest ones to you guys knowledge for the a3? and I've got a few questions about the arb rubbing with the driveshaft. I've read over on here that lower than 40mm the arb WILL be rubbing on the driveshaft? So I was wondering if I dropped it 40mm front & back, with 18 inch rs4 alloys will it be okay and will it have no arb rubbing on the driveshaft? And... does anyone have any photos of an a3 lowered 40mm? I really want to see how low it is, because I want it low as possible, but low on ££ at moment without updating arb to a TT one? As well as spacers, what size spacers would you guys recommend I should go for, and where can I get them from? I want biggest possible without causin probs!

#1 N4THW, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. audi-tk

audi-tk Member

If the tyres u have are 225 40 18 get Jamex coilovers £180 tt ARB bout £60 new topmounts kit bout £40 ,5mm spacers for clearance on front bout £20. U don't NEED the top mounts

4. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

You dont need top mounts but I'd say its best practice to change them being as you're having it all out anyway...thats what I did as I couldnt be arsed to revisit when the original ones wear out.

Might be worth looking at other bushes whilst you're there too, wishbones, ball joints etc are all worth changing at the same time if your cars a bit leggy etc.

5. audi-tk

audi-tk Member

best to hange it all. if going that low. would it be better to get new arb bushes too. another lowerign thread!! lol

6. N4THW

N4THW Member

thanks for all the coments guys. i may just have to drop it 40mm and leave it be until my ££ rises lol. is 40mm worthwhile with 18 inch rs4 alloys?

7. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Yeah man :)

Mines dropped 40mm and I ran some 18" RS4s and it was fine. I would post a pic but Flickr's dicking me about at the minute.

8. N4THW

N4THW Member

9. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Here you go...

[​IMG]

10. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

For info its running back on its standard 16's now and is a fair bit lower than in these pics due to the smaller wheels etc.

T

11. N4THW

N4THW Member

that to me looks perfect mate.... i wouldn't mind it lower but for me to go lower it seems to go through all this ARB bullshit lol. I will focus on that when I got more ££ in the bank as this is my first car but I would like it lower. So 40mm drop with 18 inch (old style) rs4 alloys should be ok, no rubbing etc?

Cheers mate

12. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

I dont have any issues, not sure what it would be like with a standard anti roll bar though as I had KW ones fitted front and back when I had my car lowered.

13. N4THW

N4THW Member

We shall soon see :D haha, anyone know if i'll be ok to lower 40mm without changing arb etc etc? with 18 inch alloys

#12 N4THW, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  14. audi-tk

audi-tk Member

Yes

15. stu_b

stu_b Member

Yeah mines lowered 45mm just on springs with 17" no rubbing at all drives fine handles like a big go kart

Nate8L likes this.