1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering and Wheel Alignment

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Marks, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Marks

Marks New Member

Hi all. I am looking to lower my Audi about 35-40mm and wondered if this will affect the geometry of the wheel alignment - especially camber. I know lowering is common practice but I was wondering is anyone has had any uneven tyre wear afterwards.

Also, I don't see any reason to replace the shocks at the same time if they are still serviceable - any opinions on whether this is a wise move before I pop the shocks through the bonnet:confused:

Cheers,

MarkS
  2. DPM

DPM Active Member Site Sponsor

If you lower the car the geometry is definately going to change, but that doesn't mean don't lower it. If it's an A3 then you'll be able to set the alignment and camber without a problem after. If it's an S3 then you'll need tie bars to bring the camber correct at the rear. Tyre wear comes as a result of dodgy camber and alignment so aslong as this is correct then the tyre wear should be even.
    As for the shocks, all depends how many miles they've done and to be honest -50mm is abit much for standard shocks!
  3. Marks

Marks New Member

Thanks for that DPM. I'm going to assume 35-40mm drop is ok. I'll keep an eye on the tyre wear as I go and listen out for thumps from the shocks.
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

lowering on standard shocks is madness! That could be dangerous.
  5. DPM

DPM Active Member Site Sponsor

I'd say even that is too much. Depending on how many miles they've done i'd say -30mm max!
  6. Marks

Marks New Member

Ok 30mm max, but am I missing something here? I was assuming that the springs lower the car but at the same time give a stiffer ride because there is less room for vertical movement of the body over the chassis. So I would guess that from a shocks point of view the question is how much vertical travel is left after lowering, because all the shocks have to do is dampen the vertical movement allowed by the springs. Does this sound reasonable or am I way off.