lowering advice please?

wright758

Reaction score
Pinking is predetonation of the firing cycle, i.e. the fuel in the combustion chamber is burning too early. in older cars it was due to the timing being to far advanced or the incorrect grade of fuel being used (to lower grade) or even a build up of carbon mainly noticeable when under load, but with modern engines they have anti-knock sensors which can alter the timing to suit the fuel being used, pinking sounds very much like a length of chain being rattled, it can lead to pistons being holed, been there, done it, repaired it! the old Rover 2000 tc needed 5 star fuel, giving my age away lol!

thinking of lowering my car, but have not got the cash to replace the dampers.

can i buy just springs and lower it that way?

if so what probs will i be looking at?

cheers

Shorter/Stiffer springs can cause the std dampers to wear quicker than normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Also, if lowered too much, your std dampers can be too long, which can have you hitting the bump stops more often. There are folks here who've run springs on std dampers (Gambba for instance) but if you can wait and save the extra $$$ to get both together, I'd say you'd be better off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hope it helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ok thanks.. might just wait!

the sound if it il be replacing the springs either way

Another thing to look at is that you'll be saving on labor/time if you do them both at the same time. The dampers need to be removed to change the springs, and vice versa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So doing both at the same time means everything happens only once. PLUS, even after changing springs, I think it's "recommended" to have the alignment checked, so if you did everything seperately, you COULD be looking at a lot of work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Naturally, I'm just sharing my opinion, chances are, Glen or someone else will come along and tell you just what you need to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif