1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowered life fail

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by grizza1978, Sep 10, 2013.

1. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    Afternoon folks

I'm after a bit of advice

i had my car lowered on JOM coilovers last, as this was my first time on coilovers I was unsure of the results and as I was little dubious I opted for a 75mm max drop,

problem is when the coilovers where fitted the mechanic used the adapters at the bottom of the strut, on the advice of a few of the Audi guys who own the same 1.6 model as mine it was advised that the strut so e was 50mm wand adding the adapter would make them 55mm

anyway the job was completed however the coilovers are set on the lowest setting at the from and still have a decent amount of arch gap, would this be to with the strut not sitting in the hub properly?

also after a week and a half in I am experiencing some knocking from the from passenger side, so after a quick inspection I found the spring was loose and was able to be turned by hand, so with that I raised the suspension so the the spring was under some tension, the noise was still there, can anybody help or give some advice on this situation? I have been looking forward to getting this done for months so after saving up and managing to to the work done I am a little disappointed to say the least
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    I didn't think you could make them a 55mm strut as they wouldn't fit

i am running fk street coilovers and have the same knocking noise at the front drivers side. I have checked mine and it is the 2 lock nuts that keep coming loose no matter how much I tighten them up.

I am also running the 1.6 fsi.

Are they easy to turn when on the ground or jacked up?
  4. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    They are tight in both instances, I noticed to though it's quite loud when you first move off but one you driving for a while its not so bad, the crazy thing is, I have a sub and amp in and when implanting music I can't hear it, so I don't know how long it's been doing it for, when I first notices the noise it was more of a clang so I took the wheel off and noticed the the lock nut was loose, tightend it up and the clanging has gone but the knocking is there.

In regard to the strut, I understand what you mean, but I'm 100% that our cars are 50mm, I did watch the guy cut that little notch off the back of the struts so I really don't know but I am not anywhere near as low as I should be
  5. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    Yea our cars are 50 mm, I didn't cut the notch off my coilovers as the notch slides into the space where the bolts go through that gap.

Is you coilovers spinning in the hub even when tight as you don't have the notch, just a thought. And maybe where you noise is coming from.
  6. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    He said he took like a mm off the notch, cos he reckoned it wouldn't go down in the hub, but my thoughts are the sleeve wasn't needed and he's grind it down to make it fit,

im getting it checked out on Saturday so will let you know the result
  7. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    That's what I thought at the start that it wouldn't fit and was convicted it was the wrong struts I got lol.

That will be good mate, then I can hopefully get my knocking sorted too
  8. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    How low are you sitting at the moment?
  9. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    I'm all the way down at the bottom and still got a good fingers arch gap, I've seen other who are tucking on the same coilovers, in my heart of hearts I know he ain't done it right
  10. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    Yea I'd say they weren't right if you are all the way down and not tucked, or even tight between tyre and arch space. I'm all the way down at the front and can't get a finger between the arch and wheel. And on the real I have about an inch left on the adjuster to go.
  11. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    Everybody has said the same as you, I'm gonna get my usual mechanic to take the sleeve off and see if the strut fits without, I used a different garage this time you see.
  12. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    Ah that's fair enough, hope your normal mechanic gets it sorted out for you mate.

Nothing worse than when your not happy with the way things look.
  13. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 10, 2013]
    I will post back on here how I get on bro! Thanks for the chat and the advice
  14. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Bro! I got it sorted! The shock wasn't seated correctly in the hub and the top mount was loose, bad workmanship I'd say! At least it's all sorted now though, still no lower but apparently they will settle down a little more
  15. stuartm

stuartm Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Aw that's good mate that it was an easy and quick fix. Yea they do go lower when settled down.

Did you send it to another garage to get sorted?
  16. grizza1978

grizza1978 New Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Yeah bro, tool my boy about 3 minutes to spot the problem and 10 to fix good old Iraqi mechanics eh looool!

Yeah just waiting for the final settle then I think I'll be happy! If I knew how to post some pics is get some up!

Are you on Instagram?