Love this weather with the S3 and Conti's...

Mark_86

Reaction score
Just a random post. I've recently swapped out the front Continentals for some Michelin PS4-S... massive difference as the Conti's are rubbish imo - poor wet weather grip and couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Anyway, I have discovered that the S3 has a playful side because the rear is still shod with them. Upon entering a roundabout at sensible speeds, a small tickle of the throttle and then a nice lift will produce, a lovely and controllable slide from the rear, which is then easily modulated with the throttle. It's just a few degrees of slip, but enough to feel that your having fun, without looking like a knob or being dangerous.

So, I'm finally starting to enjoy the S3. Yay!

If other have similar stories without them being reckless, please share.

Reactions: lucaslfc, B5NUT, AL_B and 4 others
Up here in the land that time forgot.... I think anyone would just aquaplane right off the road the weather were having.....just now So l thank the lord my ain't using my car just now, but hey glad yer enjoying the bit of slipping n sliding mate..... Ps l always thought the contis where OK in the wet

Reactions: lucaslfc, MattSedg, The Challinor and 1 other person
Up here in the land that time forgot.... I think anyone would just aquaplane right off the road the weather were having.....just now So l thank the lord my ain't using my car just now, but hey glad yer enjoying the bit of slipping n sliding mate..... Ps l always thought the contis where OK in the wet

Interesting. I find they aquaplane and have very little lateral grip aswell. Nearly went for the Goodyear Eagle F1's Asy 3's, but ended up going for PS4-S in the end for a change. Pleased with them so far.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I’ve changed the full set of the Conti’s as they were worn to the Goodyear’s as I’ve always had them on previous S3 and personally I don’t think they are as good as they used to be or they don’t just suit this car.

Reactions: AL_B
I’ve changed the full set of the Conti’s as they were worn to the Goodyear’s as I’ve always had them on previous S3 and personally I don’t think they are as good as they used to be or they don’t just suit this car.

And besides all of that you said the contis wouldn't win any tyre beauty pageants either.... One ugly muvva frickin looking tyre..... Worst l have had on any of my cars..... Had them on my RCZ...... as well...... P zeros are drop dead gorgeous looking....

Reactions: Mark_86
And besides all of that you said the contis wouldn't win any tyre beauty pageants either.... One ugly muvva frickin looking tyre..... Worst l have had on any of my cars..... Had them on my RCZ...... as well...... P zeros are drop dead gorgeous looking....

Never looked at a tyre in that way

Don’t think I’ve ever commented on a tyre’s looks...

Rim protection is handy but that’s minimal. I’ll write up a nice detailed tyre post at some stage.

In short I actually liked the Conti’s

Never looked at a tyre in that way

Don’t think I’ve ever commented on a tyre’s looks...

Rim protection is handy but that’s minimal. I’ll write up a nice detailed tyre post at some stage.

In short I actually liked the Conti’s

Trust me pzeros are a work of rubber Italian art, as for tyre design, giorgetta giugiaro knows a thing or 2 about car and tyre design

Reactions: Mark_86
Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-press-release.jpg

attachment.php

Reactions: Jassyo06, azibux1 and Gazwould
Are we talking about summer tyres?

Because from what I've experienced on (diesel) cars, Continental TS860 is by far the superior winter tyre (and I've owned pretty much every premium winter tyre so far in 16" or 17" size - GY UltraGrip 9, Michelin Alpin A5, you name it). Never felt so assuring while driving on icy roads as I do with Continentals.

Reactions: Fatbloke
First it's the leather now tyres
I think you just come here to wind everyone up.... Lol
What's wrong with you? Why is giving an opinion about tyres 'winding everyone up'?

Unless you're joking of course.

I'm actually wondering what tyres my S3 is going to arrive on. Pretty much all their showroom cars have P-Zeros on them so I suspect that's Audi's flavour of the moment.

The P4S is the best tyre by a mile - every review I've read says so as well as every subjective view I've heard. They cost a load more than the others though.

Half of me is tempted to stick a full set of P4Ss on the car soon after I get it. Wonder how much a set of P-Zeros would go for? :)

Interesting. I find they aquaplane and have very little lateral grip aswell. Nearly went for the Goodyear Eagle F1's Asy 3's, but ended up going for PS4-S in the end for a change. Pleased with them so far.
I had Asy 2's on my old r32 when I aquaplanned on the motorway. Was very lucky to of got away with not hurting myself or anyone else that day. Concrete central reservation took most of the heat.
Unfortunately I won't be going anywhere near them tyres again.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1511715852054.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511715852054.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 222
  • FB_IMG_1511715885535.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511715885535.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 260
  • FB_IMG_1511715899246.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511715899246.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 247
I had Asy 2's on my old r32 when I aquaplanned on the motorway. Was very lucky to of got away with not hurting myself or anyone else that day. Concrete central reservation took most of the heat.
Unfortunately I won't be going anywhere near them tyres again.

I ran them for years on the R32 and found them to be a cracking tyre, they did 2 trips to and around the Nurburgring (13 laps over the 2 trips)

Reactions: 4K and Jassyo06
I'll let you decide on whether am joking or not lol
lol roger that. In all fairness though, I've tried all 3 brands, it's my opinion that the Goodyears are solid, especially in wet conditions.

I ran them for years on the R32 and found them to be a cracking tyre, they did 2 trips to and around the Nurburgring (13 laps over the 2 trips)
Same here. Anyone who aquaplanes with Asy2's on, I do wonder either 1) What their driving style was like at the time or 2) The state of mechanical components on the car.

I honestly don’t think the Goodyear’s Asy’s are as good as they use me to be. Must be the reason they have come down in price
They are cheaper now. I got a deal on them recently, I think it's because the rim protection on the 3's is garbage compared to how they used to be on the 2's. I did one of my alloys over last year because of the lack of protection.

I'm actually wondering what tyres my S3 is going to arrive on. Pretty much all their showroom cars have P-Zeros on them so I suspect that's Audi's flavour of the moment.

The P4S is the best tyre by a mile - every review I've read says so as well as every subjective view I've heard. They cost a load more than the others though.

Half of me is tempted to stick a full set of P4Ss on the car soon after I get it. Wonder how much a set of P-Zeros would go for? :)

You must've been lucky with them. I never rated P0's highly, due to aquaplaning funnily enough, and being like treacle in wet conditions! I'm not sure that because Audi has stuck them on all their cars that's a ringing endorsement that they're decent.

Why aren't you using your car jass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol roger that. In all fairness though, I've tried all 3 brands, it's my opinion that the Goodyears are solid, especially in wet conditions.
Had assys 2 on my focus great summer tyre and good in the wet, never had Michelin tyres on any of my cars, but Michelin are not that common as a Oem tyre on any cars bar French cars

Reactions: 4K
Why aren't you using your car jass?

Only use it a little at the weekends mate, trying to avoid road gritters mate and at this time of year...... That's like trying to avoid ****** Xmas adverts..... Lol, l just pay a work mate petrol money to pick me up he's happy am happy.... Last winter the gritters almost ruined the paint on the bonnet and front bumper of my car mate.
Not going to happen again

Reactions: 4K and Rolly12
Only use it a little at the weekends mate, trying to avoid road gritters mate and at this time of year...... That's like trying to avoid ****** Xmas adverts..... Lol, l just pay a work mate petrol money to pick me up he's happy am happy.... Last winter the gritters almost ruined the paint on the bonnet and front bumper of my car mate.

I've not had the ceramic coating done yet, but can't help driving it. I smile every time.

Just gonna close my eyes when I wash it and not look at paint chips

You must've been lucky with them. I never rated P0's highly, due to aquaplaning funnily enough, and being like treacle in wet conditions! I'm not sure that because Audi has stuck them on all their cars that's a ringing endorsement that they're decent.

Lucky with them? I didn't express any opinions about the P-Zeros, merely that Audi seem to be fitting them lately. I only said the P4S was the best tyre by some margin, but then it costs a fair bit more.

Gritters got the front of my bumper last year, the swines.

Lucky with them? I didn't express any opinions about the P-Zeros, merely that Audi seem to be fitting them lately. I only said the P4S was the best tyre by some margin, but then it costs a fair bit more.
My mistake bud, misread P4's for P0's. :)

Reactions: Vertigo1
Hmm I was looking at getting the wife Asy 3's for her car (she could do with some rim protection!) the 2's gave quite a bit, she has one on the rear now, wonder if it's worth going with the 2's over the 3's.