1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud Woosh Noise From Turbo On TDI

Good 2 B A Gooner Apr 10, 2010

1. Any ideas why my TDI Turbo seems to be making a loud woosh when the turbo kick in - It's not like a nice woosh either! I've never heard it before, and it can only be heard when the windows are open on the car.

I don't drive the car daily as i have a van for work, so unsure if it's been there for any length of time - Seems to be ok on performance - A loose hose maybe, or something on the waste-gate?!

2. Sarah's A3

Sarah's A3 MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid Moderator

Is it a whoosh or a whine??

3. It sounds like air at pressure, like a woosh sound every time i put my foot down and the turbo kicks in - hose maybe? It's not a turbo whistle.

4. Sarah's A3

yeh was thinking it could be a hose thats come/coming off!

5. Fingers crossed - It's had a new turbo before i bought it - Hope it's something small, as i want to sell it soon :ermm:

6. Sarah's A3

then fingers crossed indeed! Seems loads have had to have new turbos! So what are you moving onto?????

7. I did look at Merc's and BM's but they're not my cuppa tea! I'd like an A6 Le-Mans Avant, but they're £££'s, so it'll prob be another A4 S-Line but with more gadgets and a few years younger!
    Audi drivers are tight though - I've been looking for ages for one with Xenon's as we drive mostly on 60mph A roads without street lighting - But they're as common as rockin horse sh*t...

8. Sarah's A3

Yeh it weird isnt it, took me ages too to find mine with extras on. Lots are fairly basic with no upgrades. I had a 530d and it had lots of toys which was cool. But I wanted to come back to Audi. Good luck searching, hope you find what you are after, they are around!

9. Phatboyruss1

Phatboyruss1 Member

I'm having a new turbo fitted this Thursday...:crying:

10. karl88

karl88 Clutch, Gear, Gas, Gone!!

This loud whoosh noise 'good 2 be a gonner'...and without sounding patronising...but is it not your dump valve???

11. lol - I have a diesel A4 Avant - No dump valve on that mate... lol

It's when the turbo's in use that it makes the woosh! Pretty sure it's a hose.

12. An update for anyone else that may suffer from this in future - It's the EGR Cooler Pipe - £445.... P*SSED...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010