Loud engine...?

Looney540

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 V6 TDi and the engine is very loud, almost sounds just like a tractor. I know that's very vague but I didn't know if it's a common problem.

Its not a tap tap or a knock just a loud engine!!

The V6 is the sweetest noise you'll ever hear. Yes it can be a bit tractor-like at start up, but hey you can't have everything. Do you still have the engine under-tray in place? There is sound insulation foam padding on it, and there's the plastic V6 engine cover, again with foam insulation.

Mine is a little noisy on tickover, but as stated before, check all covers in place.
When driving the engine is VERY quiet, only noticable when pushed hard. And I have removed the pre cat and main cat.

It's only on 130,000 miles with lots of history and the engine cover and under bonnet foam are both present - although the engine cover isn't screwed down. Would that make the difference.

It doesn't sound like a cracked manifold, like I said its more of a diesel tractor loudness. It's having it's cambelt done at the moment and I'll try and get a video on its return.

Mrs PaulFs' Avant has this issue, and I've still not cured it!
My saloon only has that 'crack' when cold for a couple of minutes.

Other causes I have found so far are the Turbo Actuator rod length/stop screw adjustment (I'm nearly done adjusting the Avants' and will do a 'how to' when I'm done), Coolant Temp Sensor causing it to be too far advanced in 'cold mode', the return line system - copper washers and/or pipes at the injector bleed offs, pump timing - if it's too far advanced, you can get a 'bark' and pump advance solenoid.