1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud engine...?

Looney540 Jan 14, 2013

1. Looney540

Looney540 Member

I have a 2.5 V6 TDi and the engine is very loud, almost sounds just like a tractor. I know that's very vague but I didn't know if it's a common problem.

Its not a tap tap or a knock just a loud engine!!

2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

3. spartacus 68

spartacus 68 Active Member quattro Audi A2 Audi Avant Owner Group

The V6 is the sweetest noise you'll ever hear. Yes it can be a bit tractor-like at start up, but hey you can't have everything. Do you still have the engine under-tray in place? There is sound insulation foam padding on it, and there's the plastic V6 engine cover, again with foam insulation.

4. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member

Manifolds cracked?

5. wesmaster

wesmaster Member

Mine is a little noisy on tickover, but as stated before, check all covers in place.
    When driving the engine is VERY quiet, only noticable when pushed hard. And I have removed the pre cat and main cat.

6. Looney540

Looney540 Member

It's only on 130,000 miles with lots of history and the engine cover and under bonnet foam are both present - although the engine cover isn't screwed down. Would that make the difference.

It doesn't sound like a cracked manifold, like I said its more of a diesel tractor loudness. It's having it's cambelt done at the moment and I'll try and get a video on its return.

7. PAULF

PAULF Active Member VCDS Map User

Mrs PaulFs' Avant has this issue, and I've still not cured it!
    My saloon only has that 'crack' when cold for a couple of minutes.

Other causes I have found so far are the Turbo Actuator rod length/stop screw adjustment (I'm nearly done adjusting the Avants' and will do a 'how to' when I'm done), Coolant Temp Sensor causing it to be too far advanced in 'cold mode', the return line system - copper washers and/or pipes at the injector bleed offs, pump timing - if it's too far advanced, you can get a 'bark' and pump advance solenoid.

8. Looney540

Looney540 Member

Keep me updated Mr. F! :)