Loud creeking noise from front

afcjay

Reaction score
im getting a loud creeking noise from the front of my car.
it sounds like a rubber,not a metal creek
it is louder the slower im going and louder when on either left or right hand lock.
it does it wether going foward or reversing
the best way i could discribed it is its like openining a door with a dry hinge but alot louder and deeper
any ideas as it doing my head in

just to mention,it had new arb bushes and link arms about 2 months ago.

have u checked your wishbone bushes-for movement

sorry,yeah ive had the wisbones replaced also
to me it sounds like rubber like a gaiter or something is beeing ringed out (twisted up) like you would ring a flannel out (like somethings being twisted tightly) ?
i cant think what it could be? it sounds like somethings moving/stretching or twisting but have now idea what? gaiter?steering rack mount?gearbox mount?steering coloum bush? i really dont know

any other ideas?

Steering racks used to make a squeaking noise on lock & sometimes when turning, I had that for a while & it never was a fault, it did eventually go away.

any idea what it is on the steering rack? is it the mount?
it does it in a straight line also but not as bad as when its on either lock
when i get above 35mph you cant hear a thing?
its a constant creek at lik 5mph and below but above that,upto about 35mph its a bit hit and miss (comes and goes)but sounds like it going round with a wheel.as soon as you stop,the noise stops?
it reminds me of horror films lol. when they open a door and it creeks (rather than a squeek)
its defo a rubber noise though,not a metal (squeek/squeal)

ah its in straight line then thats weird, it does point towards a bush tbh given noise making & if in straight line & gets better over 35mph, need to think whats changing over 35 or its revolving to quickly to actually catch anything to make the noise, fault analysis in my head would suggest something thats turning tbh, cause when going faster noise can go given to fast to rub, do you get me?

check to see if u have a broken or cracked spring/had one go on my TT/lot of noise when turning slowly/no noise when driving in a straight line

yes i know what you mean NHN but its bugging me cause i cant think what it could be
when going slowly,when its worse,you cant notice if it actually caused by something going round its just a constant creek
but then as you speed up,it goes from a constant creek to a on off creek that then sounds like its connected to something going around
then as i say you get to 35mph and there is no noise at all
ive jacked it up and span the wheels etc and had a look around but cant see anything that points to the problem
at first i thought it was a wheel bearing but have listened to the noise everyday for a week of so and can honestly say if defo is rubber and not metal

check to see if u have a broken or cracked spring/had one go on my TT/lot of noise when turning slowly/no noise when driving in a straight line

was it a creek? lol
would i get this noise if a spring wasnt seated properly?

yes it was a creeking noise/took me time to find the problem, because the spring was only cracked, the suspension had not dropped so it was not obvious

if the bottom of the coil is not against the stop/could cause a noise i think

thanks ill try and have a look tomorrow if its a bit warmer
anyone else got any other ideas as to what to check/look for?

Check your steering fluid level
It makes that noise when low

Top it up and it goes away, but there would be a reason why it dropped
If it was seriously low it could have knacked your steering pump

Good luck
Jas

thanks
i didnt get a chance to look today but will hopefully get time tomorrow.
as for checking the power fluid level sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but do you just undo the cap and check the level from when it was srewed down or do you wipe it clean and just dip it without screwing it down and then undoing again to check
if you know what i mean
also if it is low what spec fluid do i need to buy or will any steering fluid be ok?
thanks

If it's making a groaning noise then you will have a very low level which won't register whether it is screwed down or not!!!

I think it is clean and re-seat for level, but I am old and have issues with the old grey cells.

Jas

i managed to crawl under the car yesterday and have a good look.there is nothing that stands out to me.Nothing seems to be worn or rubbing etc
i checked all springs for cracks and made sure they were seated properly etc and all seemed fine.
i also checked the power steering fluid.its on the minimum mark so dont think that would cause the problem but will top up today anyway
does anyone else have any ideas?

make sure you top up with the genuine power steering fluid you can get it from the dealers and its cheap, apparently thats the ONLY one you should use on the car.

got some fluid from audi today,topped it up but hasnt made any difference.
back to square one.
does anyone else have any idea what it could be?

right,got it checked out today at a garage and it turns out its a wheell bearing.i was quite surprised as it doesnt drone or anything but there you go.
thought i should update just incase anyone else gets the same problem

I had the problem with an A3 and it turned out to be an air lock. Left the car parked overnight in full lock and it rectified the problem.

right,got it checked out today at a garage and it turns out its a wheell bearing.i was quite surprised as it doesnt drone or anything but there you go.
thought i should update just incase anyone else gets the same problem

I've got this issue at the moment and i'm getting it checked next Thursday by 4 rings. I was led to believe it was CV boot related but at least I can let 4 rings know it may be the bearing.

I've got this issue at the moment and i'm getting it checked next Thursday by 4 rings. I was led to believe it was CV boot related but at least I can let 4 rings know it may be the bearing.

Ive just had a split cv boot replaced and before it was done i was getting a creak noise when i hit speed bumps/potholes.
Now its been done its completely got rid of the creak.

I get no creaks over bumps vut when moving at crawling pace going forwards or backwards. It sounds like its comping from the passenger front wheel. It only appeared after my car had an MOT so i suspect its CV related as they would have checked them as part of the MOT. I've asked 4 rings to chuck a bearing in the van for next week just incase.