1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loud clunk when i brake any ideas????

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by bigblokey0, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bigblokey0

bigblokey0 Member

[Sep 23, 2006]
    i get a loud clunk from the drivers side wheel area when i break ive had the wheel off and everything looks ok any ideas i get it when i brake at high and low speeds even when the car rolls i get it
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

[Sep 24, 2006]
    Dont forget the A6 is notorious for eating track rods etc.

have them checked out as they could collapse. I remember having mine done on my last A6 , a month later I had a letter from Audi stating that they could collapse after high miles and to get them chcked. Bit late for me. I had them all done on both from wheels.

Simon
  4. bigblokey0

bigblokey0 Member

[Sep 24, 2006]
    i thought that was the problem because one was broken so i replaced it however im still getting the noise
  5. Jason

Jason Member

[Sep 24, 2006]
    Ball joint,loose brake caliper,brake pads,Drive shaft,worn rubber bushes in the lower steering arm jobbies.

Had a similar problem and it turned out to be a knacked shocker!!
  6. karl7900

karl7900 Active Member

[Nov 5, 2006]
    Your front bushes are probably worn by the sound of it. A kit is avialable which replaces 6 suspension links per side. I just got my '97 A6 2.4se sorted during the week there. The kit cost £250 from a local motor factor and fitting was £200. You can replace the links individually but you'll probably pick the wrong one like I did on my previous car, an A4 which has the same set up.
  7. bigblokey0

bigblokey0 Member

[Nov 6, 2006]
    it turned out to be my brakes in the end the pads become loose in the callipers so clunk around