1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud BANG when going over a bump?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by A3 Sport, Sep 2, 2010.

1. A3 Sport

A3 Sport Member

[Sep 2, 2010]
    Today, I was driving at around 20mph over a bumpy road, and went over a dip and all of a sudden, I heard a really loud bang, it was horrible - made me feel sick! It wasnt a dragging or scraping noise, it was as though the suspension had bottomed out! Has this happened to anyone else before? Is there anything on the underside of the car that I should check?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

[Sep 2, 2010]
    Could have been your sump. I've smacked that a few times as the car is lowered and that makes an awful bang.
    Could have been something flying up in your arch, I had that a few days ago when I drove over a spoon, that made an awful bang too.
  4. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[Sep 3, 2010]
    check your front lower arm rear mounting bush for lateral movement, (front suspension.)
  5. phil76

phil76 Active Member

[Sep 3, 2010]
    Have you checked the back of the alloys to see if one has had a flat spot put in it? are the springs ok as the oe ones have a tendency to snap,another daft question but there is nothing in your boot loose or spare wheel etc is there? we have this with customers too much infact much much much too much