1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lotus Elise??? Very Disapointing

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Add7, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    I have an audi A3 1.8 TS

Bloke at my boxing club has just bought a Lotus elise W Reg (as his main car, not weekend job)!

Took me for a spin, and to be honest! i was not impressed at all! Just scared the [censored] out of!

He booted it away and lots of noise and yeah dont get me wrong the car shifted but it didnt feel like it was pulling like my audi! I thought maybe it just needs to warm up!

But through-out the ride it seemed like he really needed to work it to get it to go?

However, im not going to be completly moody, it did corner well but it fely really unstable for such a low car! and we skidded a couple of times!

So overall seeing that all there is is an engine a shell and a couple of seats, i would much rather sacrifice a couple of seconds for in comparision complete luxury! and what i personally think alot more pull!

I dont wanna upset any people with a lotus elise but just wanted to know if anyone else has had an experience in one, if so please correct me!!!

To be honest i just think i has been spoiled by a turbo!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. cybrey

cybrey Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    The ones with a the new VVTI engine in .. think its the series twos .. are a lot more rewarding.
  4. JamesA3

JamesA3 Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    give me a VX220 turbo any day, think the 0-60 is around 4.4 secs
  5. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    ive heard they are pukka to drive too!!
  6. imported_alxs3

imported_alxs3 Guest

[Jul 21, 2004]
    following an elise this morning with it being wet the guy nearly ended up in a ditch several times had overtake him in the end and that was in a 2.0 16v megane coupe. looking forward to an s3 or tt in december tho.
  7. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 21, 2004]
    I like the look of them but have heard they are not too comfortable! I prefer having a bit of luxury....
  8. Add7

Add7 Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    im glad everyone agrees....i thought i was going to get a roasting???

lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif lads
  9. robthehungrymonkey

robthehungrymonkey Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    I would absolutely love an elise. But having it as my only car I think I would get a bit annoyed at the lack of comfort compared to my S3, I doubt you could drive it relaxed at all, especially with the lack of torque. But for the weekend, when you can drive with real enthusiasm and for pure fun, I can't think of anything better. I think you might change your mind if you were to drive it, rather than a passenger ride. Regarding the VX220T, it's made by lotus, by the same people that make an elise. The only real differences being the Airbag, and engine (it uses a 2.0 turbo from an astra (i think!) making it a lot more torquey and powerful than the K-series engine. But with the new toyota engine the elise sounds like it's more than good enough to compete with it's similiar rival.
    I'll shhhh now, it's hard not to get carried away with this and keep typing!!!
  10. recomdos

recomdos Member

[Jul 21, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    FactionOne said:
    L ots
    O f
    T rouble
    U sually
    S erious

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to say the EXACT same thing! not sure as to how accurate it is, but my mates bro was looking at cars a couple years ago, and went to a dealership where the guy even sed he's better off buying something different to the lotus. In the end he went for a Porsche just to add, but that's just been sold and there's talk of a cerberra! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  11. MingBluS3

MingBluS3 Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    has a race with an elise coming back from brands hatch in the wet, the bloke went sideways and managed to straighten it up on the roundabout, i ended up overtaking him too.
  12. garethj

garethj Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    The early ones are ok up to about 80-90mph after that they start to run out of puff. Great car on back roads but not very forgiving particularly in the wet.

I think that Vauxhall have learnt the hard way that even if they make a decent car the griffin badge is enough to put people off. The VX220 has suffered badly with poor sales for no other reason than that badge on the front. Had it been badged Opel it might have been slightly better. Still any name they use won't change the fact that Vauxhall after sales service is nearly non existent.

13. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 22, 2004]
    I had the pleasure of a Jonathan Palmer day last year (via work) and they had the VX220 and the Lotus Exige (the blokey Elise). The VX was great fun, but I wouldn't fancy needing to get out of trouble in one. The Exige was just incredibly noisy and claustrophobic.
    It really annoys me when motoring programs like TG and 5th Gear review every car as if it will only ever be used on track days.
    This is not the real world. They right off all Quattro's as dull, and uninspiring, because they can't easily get the back end out, or power slide. But the S4 proved it was still quicker than the M3 even with a pro-driver at the wheel. Isn't that exactly what the average quick driver wants on the public road? Something understated, fast with safe hard cornering without the need for the skills of Carlos Saintz to get it all the way round a roundabout?
  14. cybrey

cybrey Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    It really annoys me when motoring programs like TG and 5th Gear review every car as if it will only ever be used on track days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about 5th Gear as I don't normally catch it.. but TG normally review a car for what its been designed for.. DB9 is a tourer so they drove it to Monte Carlo ( I think, was somewhere south), cars like the SLR/GT40 are driven round the a track as thats what they're primarairly made for, the rover city they tested they drove around towns ( all be it from behind a hidden camera) etc. TG tends to stick though to hybrid cars like the SLR as these make the most entertaining telly. Most people watch telly as escapism (sp) as watching a show about the next A3 1.6SE although informative isn't exactly exciting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  15. dbm

dbm Active Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    To be fare, after the S4 vs M3 segment, the three TG presenters all agreed that if they wanted one flying lap of the track than an M3 would be their choice for the fun, but if they had to live with it every day they would take the S4. That's a pretty strong endorsement and the only comparison I can think of where the S4 has come out on top of the M3.

Dan
  16. AndyMac

[Jul 22, 2004]
    Good Point, TG is much better with the new format and they do tend to only concentrate on cars that will be used on a track at some point. Far more entertaining than Chris Goffey wittering on through his beard about the benefits of hydrolastic suspension on the new Metro. (you kids won't get the reference, but trust me it wasn't pretty).
    I guess I was thinking more of the shows 3+ years ago, when they first reviewed the TT and despite its looks said it was quick but not exciting like a proper sports car. I think they missed the point, as a TT will be used as an everyday car with sports car looks & performance, without the tail happiness. Exactly what a segment of the car buyers want, thus the huge success of the model. If people want a traditional sports car for weekends and track days they aren't gonna buy a TT. At that time there really was only the Z3 which fell into the same category, and this was hugely underpowered (which they also slated at the time)
  17. garethj

garethj Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    Andy you seem pretty tense at the moment are you ok ? Relax
  18. AndyMac

[Jul 22, 2004]
    Gareth, thanks for your concern, but you'll definately know when I'm tense
  19. AndyMac

[Jul 22, 2004]
    Cybrey, you can't just bury experiences like that, you need to talk it through with a medical professional. These things can blow up in your face and you'll find yourself on a rooftop with a high powered rifle picking off bearded Metro drivers as they leave the Post Office
  20. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 22, 2004]
    I beleive that Top Gear is trying to be th televised equivalent of EVO magazine and trying to get the vote of the ever increasing trackday population in this country. Let's be honest here and accept that just like off road vehicles, there are a lot of performance saloons such as imprezas, m3s and suchlike that are bought by posers who cannot drive them close to their capabilities and have them simply because it has been reviewed at some stage as the "best handing performance car" or whatever in a specific test.

I don't like the Honda civic type R, because IMO the engine is a good part but almost everything else lets it down in some way, however these cars are running out of the showrooms at an unhealty rate based on the hype written about them. We all know how cyclothymic the motoring press can be - one day CTR, the next the mini cooper, now the clio cup 182 - its all meaningless, utter nonsense which merely acts as provocation for people to either go with the flock and pose, or go try the car themselves, make a personal opinion and buy from that perspective.

I quite like to see cars tested on track, going head to head on a relatively equal forum, rather than the banile beared ramblings of some aged bafoon driving a car down a leafy lane, it means a lot more, and you can take comparisons. The M3 vs S4 article was interesting, as all the hype and provenance associated with the m3 would make people beleive it to be tha faster car, but on the day this was not the case. However, I would not rush out and swap my 2.7S4 for the 4.2 over the m3. On any chosen day, in my opinion the m3 is a far better car (excusing its inert steering and wideboy image) - so in that respect top gear has entertained me, made people look twice at anything with s4 on the back (and yes, people do look at the 2.7 and ask if it REALLY is faster than the m3!!) - but again, it is a totally meaningless comparison of 2 cars that has no real value to those who are more objective about their car choice. I'll not be missing an episode however!

Re the elise - they are (in mark one guise) fantastic little cars, with handling, turn in, and feedback in excess. So, they are not quicker than a 1.8Ta3 at 3000rpm on the motorway, but then, they shouldn't be on a bloody motorway accumulating unecessary miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's a shame that lotus did to the mkII elise what audi did to the spoilered TT, and pander to (IMO) a bunch of inexperienced drivers by adding loads of understeer to what was a fine package so people who bought the car for all the wrong reasons didn't crash.

I'm going to stick my next out here and admit to another point which are a consequence of audi's inability to make a car handle in a satisfactory way to accompany their "sporty" image. I have a nissan s13 (200sx turbo) with about 211bhp, running on skinny 195 section tyres that I use for trackdays and drifting sessions. It has cost about £2000 for the car and some remedial work for it to be useful, but in terms of entertaining, it leaves my s4 and several other cars behind! It is adjustable, tactile, rearwheel drive and laps knockhill quicker than many more expensive machines. This is a car that will be left standing by a modded s3 on a straight road, one with no air con, DIS, illuminated ashtrays, but as a tool for driving in, is hard to better for the money. I commute across country roads about 40 miles to work some days in it, especially in the wet as it makes you think, consider what you are doing, what the road is doing and how best to negotiate the road. All the standard audis I have driven can (again IMO) be driven by complete novices at high speed and act in a benign and predictable manner.

So back to the elise, don't critisise it because it isn't comfortable - it isn't meant to be, nor because it doesn't have a turbo thrust, because it's not designed to have (and having driven the vx220turbo, i can tell you that all that torque on a wet road is not the best combination). It's a car to learn and adapt to - I think EVO has got it about right, and if JC on top gear could drive, he would probbably get it too.