1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of oil in the coolant!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Stuart Cloy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Stuart Cloy

Stuart Cloy New Member

[Sep 15, 2011]
    Hey folks

Ive got an A4 1.8T B5 with 130,000 on the clock and shes now started throwing all the oil into the coolant. It doesnt take long to virtually empty the sump. Im guessing the head gasket is away but i've also been told the block could be cracked. Im just not sure where to go from here.

TIA
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 15, 2011]
    the scrap yard for a new engine?

have you checked the oil cooler? they are notoriously **** and corrode around the 129k mile mark. could be a good place to start before you write of the engine.

do you also have water in the sump (check dipstick)
    overcooked it recently?
    leaky coolant system?
    heads dont normally blow a gasket without an underlying reason. usually too much heat from no or low coolant or huge boost!
    I doubt the block is cracked..
    I have tortured 5 VAG engines with varying amounts of boost and revs, abused to within an inch of their lives and never cracked one.
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 15, 2011]
    I'd be checking the oil cooler first, as it's the cheapest and easiest to check
  5. Stuart Cloy

Stuart Cloy New Member

[Sep 15, 2011]
    Thanks for the advice guys, one thing to note about 600 miles before this happened I hit a badger at about 115. The bugger bent the radiator, and I dont know if thats related. I didnt cook her, I noticed the temp gauge was above normal so I stopped the motor and checked the coolant and found a brown sludge in it. How would I go about checking the oil cooler?

Theres no water in the sump, and Ive not gave her huge boost lol. The coolant system doesnt leak either.
  6. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Sep 15, 2011]
    Oil cooler is at the bottom of the engine.... so if you hit a badger, thats prob the culprit.
  7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 15, 2011]
    The oil cooler sits between the oil filter and engine. Looks a bit like a square brick with some pipes sticking out.

I'd just replace it, and hope!
  8. jcb

[Sep 15, 2011]
    if there is oil in the water you have a leak somewhere.
    one of them cant be leaking without the other.

if your radiator took a knock it could be steaming slightly and loosing coolant. You mention it had brown sludge, but what was the level like?
    sometimes not even noticeable but over several hundred miles your coolant goes down and the temp go up. doesnt have to be sky high to blow a head. I blew one in an audi 90 by not putting the cap on properly and it lost about 2/3 of the reservoir.

I would guess you have either lost some coolant and cooked the head or the oil cooler is fritzed.

cant see how a badger would get up high enough to smack the oil filter/cooler assembly.
    Do you have an undertray on?
  9. Stuart Cloy

Stuart Cloy New Member

[Sep 15, 2011]
    No, theres no tray underneath. It drinks oil like nothing on earth and the coolant level rises, getting thicker and more oil like
  10. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Sep 15, 2011]
    Ditto my old 1600 A4 was diagnosed with a HG failure, the work was done and within a couple of hours the oil water mixing was back. Turned out to be the oil cooler which was a fraction of the cost of a headgasket

It looked like chocolate milkshake lol

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  11. jcb

[Sep 16, 2011]
    cooler is fritzed!
    get a new one for peanuts, easy to change, just like changing an oil filter.
    one thing, I would clean your coolant system thoroughly before you invest in some new coolant.

drop a spoonfull of persil or another washing powder in the resevoir WHEN WARM (dissolves immediately before it gets to the radiator) and then run for a while, drain at the bottom radiator to clear and flush out until water runs clean.

I would be tempted to run some diesel through your oil system as well to make sure you have no Mayonnaise in there either.

its cheaper than a head gasket job!