Lots of Fault codes including turbo overboost!!

2005 A3 tdi

Reaction score
I recently had the engine light come on in my 2005 2.0 tdi DSG (140hp) with 120k on the clock. So I took it to the garage to see if they could diagnose it for me and came back with several faults including...

• All 4 glow plugs out (I guessed that anyway)

• 16618 Boost pressure regulation limit exceeded (overboost condition)

• 19559 Motor for intake manifold flap malfunction (P3103)

• 16346 Control module sporadic 014 defective

• 00332 Control Circuit for Tank Flap 007 - Short to Ground

• 01176 - Key: Signal too Low - Sporadic

Additionally there were a few other faults that were related to the supply voltage - lower limit exceeded, caused by the battery dying in the cold.

The one that concerns me most is the boost pressure one (16618). The car has absolutely more than plenty of boost in the mid range, but when you boot it out of a slip road etc it will go into limp mode until the car is restarted. I notice that when the turbo kicks in and gives you that big boost (say between 20 - 40mph), when you take your foot off the gas, sometimes it makes a whooshing noise. Is this normal?

What could be the most likely issue here? Could it be simply sticky vanes, a leaky pipe / seal or am I looking at a new/recon turbo?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on those other problems? Am I perhaps best to cut my losses and trade it in, or blow a couple grand in getting it fixed?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Well some of them are well known, but the boost issue is more than likely the turbo vanes yes.

Whereabouts are you located?

Don't think it will cost a few grand to fix tbh, looking at those depends on module fault but I can probably sort most of if not all of them location dependent of course.

I'm located just between Lincoln and Grantham. I spoke to Audi about all these faults who advise me that to fix all of these faults I'd be looking at around £2k+ VAT inc labour.

Ping me a PM & we can talk about this as I'm confident we can sort for less.