1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost AM reception on Symphony II unit

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by DuncS3, Feb 25, 2006.

1. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[Feb 25, 2006]
    Okay, not as exciting as big turbos etc but has anyone experienced this?

Basically FM etc works perfectly as always, but for the last couple of months my AM reception has gone to pot, bascially cant listen to it, almost no reception - used to be perfectly clear

any ideas?

Dunc
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Feb 25, 2006]
    what year is your car? There were signal amps originally in the roof aerial but when those failed it was a bugger to replace so they changed it into the head unit. I noticed this when I swapped to a kenwood head unit - my AM was useless. I bought a booster and shoehorned it in behind the HU. I guess it could be a failure of this either on the aerial or in the headunit.
  4. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 25, 2006]
    I think AM comes from the head unit so it doesn't use the aerial. Perhaps your head unit is knackered?
  6. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Feb 25, 2006]
    I had a similar problem on my S3 which after much pain I traced to an aerial splitter that sits ontop of the sub box. Their was a loose connector inside of it which i resoldered, this cured the problem.
  7. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[Feb 25, 2006]
    Cheers - I dont think the head unit is 'knackered' as everything else works perfectly fine

I'll start having a look at the aerial splitter

Dunc
  8. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

[Feb 26, 2006]
    Hi dunk

Had the same problem a while ago, it was the aerial. I had it replaced under warrenty and have never had a problem since. If i recall they said water had got into it, sounded like a common problem as they were able to tell me it was probably the aerial when i described the problem.
  9. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[Feb 26, 2006]
    Is the aerial easy to swap out? Anyone know? depends on price etc but if its easy to swap might try that first.

Dunc
  10. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Feb 26, 2006]
    The aerial on the roof is quite easy to change, just remove the roof lining and undo the bolt that holds the aerial to the roof. The aerial has a built in amp in the base, just be careful not to damage the rubber seal at the base of the aerial.
    However having said all this i beleive the am reception is through an aerial in the rear window and not the roof mounted aerial. As your problem is with AM reception I think you should check the aerial splitter and the cable that runs from it to the rear screen first.