Lost all gears?

Antman713

Reaction score
Hi, posting on behalf of a mate. He suddenly lost all gears on way home from work tonight in his A3 54 plate, gear stick feels sloppy so thought selectors but can see selectors moving from under bonnett when putting in gear. Thought clutch but can start car 'in gear' without clutch and move gear stick around in all gears without clutch no grinding.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

cheers

Yes manual. Ahh ok something else to look at cheers for the reply pal.

Sounds like gear selector?

He should still be able to drive in the gear it has stuck in,

Remove engine cover and complete air box. Then looking at the engine from the front towards the RHS under where the air box would sit you should see a silver component which the linkage should be pushed into - if you get your m8 to sit in car and move gear stick as if he is putting into gear (engine off) you will see the linkages moving,

This is what happend with mine when i took it on drag strip, by slamming it into gear it brakes the plastic clip and the linkage comes away from the selector...

Let me know how you get on m8, i can get you some pictures if you are really stuck but once all above is removed you should be able to see it clear as day (y)

Jonny