1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost all brakes again.......3rd time !

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Gooner, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Gooner

Gooner Member

[Feb 9, 2010]
    Hi All

I did a previous thread about the brakes seizing on and then having no function whatsoever intermittantly on my A4 TDI 130 sport. Well twice i had my friend change the brake switch but it happened again this morning only this time the brake pedal was solid, no give whatsever and i almost slammed into parked traffic at the lights of a 60mph dual carriageway. Quick thinking and luckily no cars in the inside lane is why im still here today typing this. Ive googled the fault with this and it seems to be a very common problem. Should it not be a recall ? I dont know about anyone else but i consider brakes to be an important part of driving ! its not a Toyota Prius FFS !

Please take a few moments to read these and get your car checked, i wouldnt want anyone to go through what i went through this morning:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cach...udi a4 brake problem&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:...di a4 brake problem&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Seems to me that Audi know about the problem. I wonder if i have a case ?

Thanks in advance
  2. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Feb 9, 2010]
    think ill get new vaccum hoses to be safe mine doses it from time to time on start up but goses if i give it a rev just over 1000
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 9, 2010]
    a solid pedal would indicate loss of vacuum assistance...

I presume the car DID slow down, but just not with the expected pace, and with much much greater pedal pressure required? People are far too used to a soft fluffy brake pedal. The car should still stop without servo assistance, but you will have to properly lean on the pedal to make it do so.

I'd be checking the vacuum hoses themselves, and then the vac pump and servo.
  4. paul20v

paul20v Audi fanatic

[Feb 9, 2010]
    Things ive changed on a few in order
    Vac hose to servo easy change and they fracture with age and not just audi ones lots of V.A.G models
    and recently i changed the servo on a B6 not too bad a job just a little time consuming
    i would check and change the pipes first while there off you can check for suction with the engine running too
    personally i have not changed any V.A.G vac pumps on a diesel in 20 years but dont eliminate it you never know .