1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of drive

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Orinoco, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 24, 2007]
    Well it Christmas Eve, I went out tonight to collect my kids toys, on my way home I suddenly had alot of steering wheel wobble, followed by a complete loss of drive, engine still running and and car still in drive, I managed to push the car into a car park where I have currently left it, but there is no drive no matter what gear I choose, when I lost the drive it sounded as though something metallic was dragging on the ground from the engine bay area, on looking under the car I could see nothing hanging down, when selecting gears there is a grinding noise but no drive, any help would be greatly appreciated

Car is a 2002 2.5 TDi

Thanks

Tony
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Ok I have managed to get the car towed to my house, I removed the drivers front wheel as this is where the grinding noise was coming from, behind the wheel and brake assembly there is a drive shaft/half shaft this is broken.....however as you probably guessed I am no mechanic.....why would this stop the car from having any drive as the car is rear wheel drive, is this likely to cost an arm and a leg..

Thanks

Tony
  4. karl7900

karl7900 Active Member

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about this. If its an A6 you drive it will be either front wheel drive or four wheel drive (Quattro). If one of the shafts are broken then you probably would loose drive completley.
  5. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Thanks, I never realised it was front wheel drive, I just always assumed it was rear wheel drive....you live and learn.

Thanks

Tony
  6. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Is drive shaft replacement a big/costly job?

Thanks

Tony
  7. enda1

enda1 Member

[Dec 27, 2007]
    Not a huge job as the drive shaft is removable to replace the inner and outer CV joints. Just problem is why did it fail was it the outer cv joint??? is it hanging of at the wheel end or gearbox end???
  8. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 27, 2007]
    At the wheel end, although have to say there is movement back and forth between wheel end and gearbox end???
  9. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 28, 2007]
    Is it feasible that a broken drive shaft can cause a complete lack of drive? Surely there should still be some drive from the other drive shaft and wheel?
  10. bigdavie

bigdavie please speak slowly so i'll understand !

[Dec 28, 2007]
    yeah its a complete lack of drive as the diff will send the power through the path of least resistance !
  11. Orinoco

Orinoco New Member

[Dec 28, 2007]
    Thanks just got to wait for the garages to open and get it booked in to be repaired now hopefully not too costly