losing brake fluid

symeon

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here.
Ive got an 80E 2.0, which appears to be losing brake fluid quite rapidly. I have only owned the car for just over a week, had to replace the discs and pads all round as they were all worn (got the car cheap, so not complaining) and so bled the entire system to replace the fluid at the same time.
However, it seems to lose almost the entire reservoir of fluid overnight whilst stood. Ive checked the lines, and the master cylinder/servo area and there is no visible leakage.
The only thing I have noticed is some crimping on one of the copper lines to the rear where it looks like someone used it as a jack point in the past, but again, no leakage, and nothing on the floor in the morning either.
So, before I take it to a garage and have a heart attack at the cost of whatever it may be, I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Psy

Some models use the brake fluid reservoir to supply the clutch master cyl as well, rubber hose can leak here. Also the rear brake proportioning valve can leak, but I'd guess you would see a puddle? The clutch hose might weep onto the gearbox/subframe?

How does it brake? If the brakes appear weak its possible fluid is leaking past the master cylinder seals into the servo. If this is the case the servo will store the lost fluid, hence no leakage. The only way to check is to seperate the master cylinder and servo.

Update: The brakes are completely fine, in fact better than my last car, and that had no leak lol.
I think I may have narrowed down where it is leaking from, although still no idea where it goes. I have noticed some fluid staining on the 'face' of the servo, from the master cylinder downover, although if that is from leakage or spillage I am not sure. Like I say, it brakes fine, fantastic in fact, ABS on or off, so I can only think that if it is leakage on the servo, it can only be coming from the connection between the reservoir and master cylinder.
If anyone has any more theories, please share, because its starting to annoy me, and I really love the car, I dont want to start hating it.

Thanks
Psy

Ok, still not getting anywhere with the brakes, and, Ive noticed since Ive not been topping up the reservoir (brakes still work fine) the clutch pedal has started to become a bit 'sloppy'.
Now, here's the quetion: Do I have a hydraulic clutch, or is it just my imagination and me becoming used to the clutch on this car, as I've not seen any cable under the bonnet other than accellerator cable, and Im not that great at identifying engine parts Im not familiar with. And if it is a hydraulic clutch, where is it, and how would I identify any leaks etc.

Help me...

Psy

It should be a hydraulic clutch, The master cylinder is on the bulkhead, but it shares fluid from the brake fluid reservoir. The feed pipe from the reservoir to the clutch master cyl can leak.
The pressure line goes across near the steering rack, and down to the slave cylinder which is behind the bellhousing on the left side of the gearbox. There is a nipple on the slave cyl for bleeding.

Thank you thank you, I was about to go insane with this problem.
I figured out it was definitely a hydraulic clutch on the way home tonight, when I found the clutch biting just off the floor instead of gradually, and finding it hard to change gear, which at speed isnt a good thing.
Stopped off at a 24hr BP, bought some brake fluid, sat in the forecourt for a bit pumping the clutch and brakes and it came back to normal.
This has to be the most problematic car Ive ever owned, but I still love the ******.

And Dave, no, there is no puddle at all, which bugs the crap out of me.

Psy

That fluid is going somewhere m8, if the clutch slave cylinder is inside the bell housing it could be leaking there, the only other thing i can think of without looking at the car is the fluid actually leaking into the servo.
HTH

Finally located the leak - Its the clutch master cylinder. Found out where the fluid has gone to... Soaked into the (insulation?) matting behind the dash, and some behind the carpet, so much actually that Ive got a puddle BEHIND the driver's seat, not under the pedals!!

So, the plan is that Ill be getting another cylinder from the local breakers and I'll attempt to get some time off from work to sort it.
However, has anyone got any tried and tested ways of soaking up the fluid from the carpet, without taking it up and replacing it?
The matting Ill just cut away and replace, anyone got any suggestions for a suitable replacement for it?

Thanks all.
Psy

I did hear that milk can be used to neutralise brake fluid, even if true, probably not the wisest thing to tip on your carpet?!