1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

loosing the plot. someone please help with audio install.

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by nige.m, Nov 24, 2012.

1. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 24, 2012]
    good evening guys.
    I am starting to loose the will to live with an audio change.
    I have a A3 2008 sline. it has a double din concert head unit. a aux socket and a ipod dock in glove box. and i wish to fit A JVC double din head unit.

I don't use an ipod

i have taken the concert out and this is what i have

View attachment 8564

i believe this to be quad-lock.

i also have
    T1 Audio T1AD002-JVC Audi A3 A4 TT Steering Wheel Interface Adaptor | eBay

with a JVC patch lead.
    I also have a aerial adapter.

when i put this in i get nothing. it says in the jvc book to swap the red and yellow around on their wiring this also gives nothing.

please help i am sure i am doing something wrong.

cheers

Nige M
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Gazthesparky

Gazthesparky Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 24, 2012]
    I'm just guessing because I don't know the adapters so haven't seen the wiring configuration but I would say check the wiring

Check to see that the unit is getting power the red and yellow cables are for permeant live and ignition switched live on the Jvc head unit

Audi head units just have a permanent live and the unit is told if the ignition is on or not via the CAN data lines
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 24, 2012]
    Yes as Gaz says you need to splice the red and yellow power cables together on the JVC and run them both off the permanent live on the Audi loom and turn the HU on/off manually. The alternative is to buy a CANBUS emulator.
  5. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 24, 2012]
    thanks for that. i thought i had a can bus emulator as part of the loom i brought. dont rearly want to turn on and off.

cheers

Nige
  6. AndyMac

[Nov 24, 2012]
    Yes sorry, that does include the emulator so you should be getting an ignition on feed from it, you need to check it is providing this, use a 12v testing screwdriver and check that you are indeed getting 12v on both red and yellow feeds to the JVC when the ignition is on. This is all the HU needs in order to turn on, doesn't matter which way round they are. They do need to be the correct way round before finishing the install otherwise you will lose the memory function when you switch off the ignition, but it won't prevent it working.
  7. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 25, 2012]
    ok think i will go out with the multi meter and check for power in the leads.

thanks for the help.
  8. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 25, 2012]
    ok so this morning braved the rain to go out with multi meter. 12v at yellow lead. nothing at red. ran wire from yellow to red and awake it came. would not turn off and no control from steering wheel. makes me think the emulator is not working. also no sound from rear speakers. audio plugs in correct place on rear. does this mean i have a quad lock with half aplified. will put some photos up of leads. 106_0014.jpg

i have noticed there is no red from quadlock, i take it something else feeds that via canbus as this is where the red comes from.

cheers
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. Gazthesparky

Gazthesparky Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 25, 2012]
    The rear speakers are powered by a seperate amp usually in the boot somewhere. I believe this could be your problem I think this requires a signal wire of some discription from the head unit to power up

Might sound daft but did you have the keys in the ignition and on as this might be why the mfw controls don't work the mfw module only gets power when the key is in the ignition and on.

this might also be the problem with the amp in the rear

I'm just guessing here because I've never actually retrofitted a None OEM headunit
  10. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 25, 2012]
    Hi
    the keys were in when all fitted out. will try and get a replacement lead and see what that does.
    starting to think a parrot would have been easier.
  11. AndyMac

[Nov 25, 2012]
    You need to connect the blue flying lead from the RCA part of the adapter to your Power Antenna or Remote On lead from the JVC. Without this the rear amp won't turn on
  12. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 25, 2012]
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  13. AndyMac

[Nov 26, 2012]
    No, you have 2 x 50w now going to the fronts from the JVC and still the puny 2 x 20w from the rear amp. You will have to fade to rear to balance the power. You could rewire the rears directly to the HU but then the subwoofer will be really quiet
  14. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Nov 30, 2012]
    ok. sorry for the late reply. nights are a bummer for normal life. turns out all my problems was caused by the connects2 box. it was faulty, new one had and now every thing works including the live feed and power off when key out.

thanks for all the help. i am glad i found this forum..

Nige