Loosing oil somewhere!!!

Patrick_c99

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed I'm putting 1l of oil in my car every 4-5 weeks, I have looked all around/under the engine and cannot see any obvious oil leaks anywhere.

Could it be the seals in the turbo have gone around the intake compressor wheel causing oil to be drawn into the system or heavy breathing from the engine putting oil out through the breather?

There is no blue smoke coming from the exhaust!

Any ideas?

It's a 2005 a3 2.0 tdi with 95k miles

Thanks

Last edited:
Is there any black smoke when pulling away or mainly on a cold engine? And if you push the accelerator right to the floor and let go a few times does it puff out black smoke?

There used to be quite a bit of black smoke until I put new glow plugs and had a new intercooler fitted. The old one was full of suit and oil.

Rightio, well when my turbo started to fail I got block smoke. This was from the oil in the turbo that had leaked past the seals when the car was stationary. Most garages will check your turbo for you for fairly cheap. They can take a pipe off and feel the movement in the turbo shaft and this can tell you if you have an issue there.

yeah im looking at turbos at the minute also, im thinking of going hybrid but then im also thinking is this going to wear my clutch out quicker?

I'm pretty sure my clutch needs doing soon so I'm not worrying about the clutch. Found complete Sachs clutch and flywheel kit on euro car parts for £200

Mine did a litre of oil after an oil change service at Audi, it was picked up when I had my clutch fitted at APS, they told me the plastic housing around the oil filter was cracked and the oil was leaking onto the sump guard if I remember right, I never noticed any oil under my car. I took it back to Audi and they sorted it - was p155ed with them though...

I still haven't found the cause for loss of oil but the pipe from my rocker breather is swimming in oil and I'm starting to worry that the rings are shot and its heavy breathing :(

Have a look at your fuel filter because if your tandem fuel pump has failed the oil tends to get drawn into the fuel system due to the pressure differential. This is what happened to my 140TDI. Oil light came on which I thought was a little weird and sometimes it used to kangaroo slightly as in jumpy but not all the time. Turns out it was the tandem fuel pump. Its bolted to the top right hand side of the engine. The fuel filter is the long cylinder to the left of the engine....just undo the 8 allen key bolt screws and remove and withdraw the filter.....If sludgy then theres your problem.

I changed the fuel filter a few months ago and it was sludgy inside. But no one could give me any ideas why. Is there anyway to test the pump. 2 of my injectors have failed as well 😟