1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loose gear knob?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ben S3 8P3, May 1, 2013.

1. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

I have had this since I got the car and just thought it must be an Audi thing, but maybe it isn't?

The gear knob has play in it if you rotate it, probably 15 degrees play either side, and just generally feels a bit loose.

The push down reverse function also seems a bit loose in ways

Does anyone one else have this? Can it be tightened?

Cheers
  2. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

I have an 8P A3 and this is how I adjusted my gear knob, might be 'roughly' the same for the 8P3, someone can confirm.

First, you need to un-clip the metal surround from the gear stick/gaiter, very easy to do. Just need a bit of plastic with a small lip to get under the surround and un-clip. You can use a flat head screw driver but make sure you don't scratch/mark the metal.
    $T2eC16J,!yUE9s6NEG+OBRYWFuNy5!~~60_35.JPG
    Once you have the surround up, turn the gaiter inside out and you will see a small jubilee clip, un-tighten this and you can remove the gear knob or you can move the gear stick around and up and down to how you want it. Then just reverse the above.

gearknobht3.jpg
    This clip (jubilee clip?) is what tightens the gear knob and gaiter to the gear stick. Loosen this and you can twist the knob/gaiter round and up and down.

Any Q's, let me know
  3. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

Cheers for the help, only just got round to having a look, it is what you said it is.

But im not sure how to tighten the metal clip?

Anyone got any ideas.

My bodge it brain instantly thought to use a cable tie and possibly a bit of superglue to strengthen it
  4. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

I actually changed the jubilee clip around the gear stick. The original was a cheapo one and not very good, so swapped it for a decent one that you can easily adjust with a screw driver.
    jubileeclip.JPG
  5. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

Oh and I wouldn't advise using a cable tie and glue, cable tie may come loose and gluing it won't help when you need to remove it next time.

Get a good jubilee clip, available from most hardware stores, easy to remove/install.
    Ben S3 8P3 likes this.
  6. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

just put one on, feels like a whole new car ha