Looks Good & Goes Slowish or Looks Less Good & Goes Fast

nb

Very poorly A3 at the moment..........
Reaction score
Apologies that this could be classified as being on the wrong part of the forum but this is THE place to be on Audi-Sport!!

I have this argument with my mates all the time and we are at a 50 / 50 split with the opinion, so wanted to see what you guys thought.

Would you rather drive a car that really looks the part but is pretty standard in terms of performance e.g a low powered petrol CLK, BMW 3 Series Coupe, 1.6 A3 but maybe s-llined, Range Rover etc

OR

How about something that may look less desirable but really would shift and suprise people - sort of wolf in sheeps clothing effect e.g Cars like the standard 2.0t A3 or debadged S3, RS4 Estate, High Powered E-Class etc

I know people find different cars appealing for whatever reason meaning some would fall into both categories and some would fall into none, and I dont mean to be critical of A3's.
I guess the question is blow your wonga on maxed up looks or maxed up speed????

Speed every time. I prefer cars to look more subtle but still go fast. Actually, I don't even care about top speed, so long as the thing accelerates fast then I'm happy. I always want a car that looks good, but it so long as it looks smart it doesn't need to look fast.

I agree. A car the who's basic design looks good in a subtle way, has a quality and comfortable interior and accelerates well. As you say top speed is of no improtance as the times you can use that spped are very limited. Even on de-restricted sections of Autobahns in Germany there is usually too much traffic to use it to the full.

That was my view and as long as it looks well styled i am happy, i would rather have that subtlety and driving element anyday.
And we dont even see the car from the outside so who cares as long as it drives like a beast!!!!

This should be the next poll!

I can't decide. Maybe one car of each ;)

good point.........or just other suggestions too

The cars you list as looking good, don't. And the cars you list as not looking good, do! 2.0T A3? An S3? an RS4 estate? those are hot looking cars that go fast.

I never said i spoke for everyone on here mate.......those are just my opinions.
As a car bought for image not even thinking about performance, 'IMO', i would much rather have a clk than an s3".

I never said audi dont look good, i stated that i believe there are better looking cars out there.

Share some of your thoughts.......

Perhaps it's not outright acceleration or top speed that is most important when talking about "going fast". I'd consider performance to also include a car that handles, brakes and steers well, too.

In purchasing the Sportback, I think I've gone for something that looks good, is comfortable and well designed but isn't a real driver's tool. Prior to this, I had a Focus ST170 and a Puma 1.7 (which both looked kinda cool to me!) that were better to drive than be in or look at. Neither was as well built as my Audi either, but I think the A3 is a much better car to live with day-to-day. So looking good and being comfortable is my preference!

Ideally though you'd like to strike a balance between the two. Incidentally, if the new Focus only looked a bit nicer, you might be looking at the ideal car for this.

well,the amount of speed cameras around,calming measures etc,performance for me is'nt that important anymore,as its becoming harder to use it,or you have to be more alert for speed traps cars bikes etc.

so it would be looks for me,thats why i chose a 320d and not the 330d,and i realy wanted the 330d,but there was no good reason for me to have one,all the power but nowhere to use it.