Looking to step up to A6

IL3888

Reaction score
I'm looking to move from A4 to A6.
Are there any common issues with any of the TDI models? 2.0, 2.7, 3.0?
Also what are the auto gearboxes like? I know of 3 people that have had issues with there A4 autos hence why I got a manual but I would like a Rev and go.

Thanks

Age will be an issue. With the 2.0 best to go for a facelift (late 58 on) as this has the Common Rail rather than PD engine. PD engines suffered from oil pump and turbo issues but it would be fairly safe to assume that these will have been sorted on all cars by now. With the facelift there were 2 versions one (known as TDie) has 134bhp and the other 170bhp.

All front wheel drive autos have the CVT box. Seems more reliable than it used to be but a fluid change every 40k miles is essential and you should ask for evidence this has been done or walk away. Quattros all have Tiptronic so less of an issue. If you are looking at a pre-facelift Avant check the rear LH storage space for any sign of water from a failed rear washer hose. Use washer and then check again. The MMI system is in the same space and clearly water and electronics do not mix and expensive to fix. Facelift cars had the problem sorted and the MMI unit moved to the glovebox. Also on prefacelift Avants check passenger floor for dampness as the washer hose can fail there as well and soak the bluettoh phone unit

Age will be an issue. With the 2.0 best to go for a facelift (late 58 on) as this has the Common Rail rather than PD engine. PD engines suffered from oil pump and turbo issues but it would be fairly safe to assume that these will have been sorted on all cars by now. With the facelift there were 2 versions one (known as TDie) has 134bhp and the other 170bhp.

All front wheel drive autos have the CVT box. Seems more reliable than it used to be but a fluid change every 40k miles is essential and you should ask for evidence this has been done or walk away. Quattros all have Tiptronic so less of an issue. If you are looking at a pre-facelift Avant check the rear LH storage space for any sign of water from a failed rear washer hose. Use washer and then check again. The MMI system is in the same space and clearly water and electronics do not mix and expensive to fix. Facelift cars had the problem sorted and the MMI unit moved to the glovebox. Also on prefacelift Avants check passenger floor for dampness as the washer hose can fail there as well and soak the bluettoh phone unit

I agree with all of the above. especially - best to go for a facelift (late 58 on)
Have a scan for faults if possible before you buy.
Also check that the plenum chamber drains are kept cleaned out or the plenum chamber will flood and let water into the car.

MMI has not really changed it terms of layout, the Control head was moved from behind the glove box and put into the glove box, the Radio, module, AMP and TV tuner are still in the same place, only difference is there is no BT & DAB module, and the modification to the pipe work was applied at the factory rather than having to visit a dealer.

It's now also recommended ZF that tiptronic boxes are service every 60k miles, so if your looking at an auto box car then I would look to be putting aside around £300 for a service once you get the car.

From what I have gathered (as I am looking for an A6 as well at the moment - prefacelift one), the 3.0 TDI have 2 issues which need checking - injectors (white smoke when engine is warm) and something regarding the chain rattle.

Can anybody enlighten me which 2.0 engine code did they put into A6 prefacelift?

Was it BKD, BMM, BMP, BKP or BRE?

BLB, BNA, BRF, BRE, BVG

Avoid BLB, and the others will all need the oil pump/hex shaft inspecting/replacing.