1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to put mini DV on to Computer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by johneroberts, Jan 5, 2003.

1. johneroberts

johneroberts Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    So what do i need, besides a firewire card and editing package, im new at the movie bit, but got some great footage from last few trackdays.
    Cheers
    jr
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. A4Steve

A4Steve Guest

[Jan 5, 2003]
    If you're running XP all you need is a f/w card /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You plug it in and record.

Editing is **** though on the std. package - Moviemaker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pinnacle Studio is about the best one for general use I've found.
  4. PunjabiA4

PunjabiA4 New Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    ya don't need much else m8! well enough hard drive space and a NTFS drive (i.e XP computer). I've used a few. Adobe Premier is the daddy but is quite difficult to use, then Pinnacles Studio DV which is good. I use Ulead VideoStudio 6 which is p*ss easy to use. It create dvd's, vcd's as well as wmv's, mpegs and avi's for the web.

I remember giving CFCMick a demo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I believe you can download demos from the web of most the above programs ahem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

check out VCD Help for some good info.
  5. DuncS3

DuncS3 Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    can anyone recommend a decent/moderately priced firewire card?
  6. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    A guy at work went into PC World and came back with a triple firewire card for £29. I paid £150 inc s/w about 2 years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  7. Foggy

Foggy New Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    What do you want it for, desktop or laptop, ie. PCI or PCMCIA ?
    I have an Adaptec for my desktop and an IBM PCMCIA for my laptop. No issues with either, although I did notice on my old laptop, it could really keep up and dropped frames now and again but I think that was down to the processor only being an 800 and we all know how slow laptop disks are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  8. Foggy

Foggy New Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    Oh and Dunc, there's some of those stars you were after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  9. PunjabiA4

PunjabiA4 New Member

[Jan 5, 2003]
    Yup 30 quid sounds about right make sure it comes with a fire wire lead usually 4pin to 6pin. they usually come w/o software or some pants stuff. I bought a cable from london comp fair for £6!

Scotty cards can cost just as much as you paid thats because your usually forking out for the software that comes with it..the pinnacle cards being bundled with Studio DV and others coming with Adobe Premier. But then again they are quality cards and software.

Here's a few places:

Komplett £15 plus P+P

Dabs

£18 inc cable search for 17ZKWS in quicklinx and £12 search for 179GWS
  10. biturbo

biturbo Member

[Jan 6, 2003]
    I use MGI Videowave - what I picked up with my PCMCIA firewire card for the laptop.
    Not particularly easy to pick up because the instructions are ****. Once you get used to it, it's a good package.
    I will be looking to get the Pinnacle s/w later in the year though.
    Make sure you have enough processing power as it can prove to be a problem.