Looking to get a s4 b5

Conorn

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I am new to the forum and I'm looking to get a b5s4, I want to know what I shoul be looking for when I go to get one,

Also what are they like to work on ? Reliability and drivability

What tuning company's are out there or are mrc the clea choice ? What should I excpect from a stage one map ...

Sorry for all the questions hope to hear your opinions ! Thanks

Hi, just my opinion as I am newish to the S4 B5 scene but I own one and have done for a few month now so I'm speaking from experience.
I found a good one as the history was fantastic, which I knew about the 1st and 2nd gears on the early boxes as mine do need doing(sticking and crunching gears)
To work on I would say they're not the best but I do like the way they are put together.
There are loads of mods to do both on looks and performance.
All in all I love mine but what I have found is you don't own a S4, it owns you.
Have plenty time and money on your hands and you will love it or if your the oppisite then buy a saxo lol.
Any Q's the chaps on this site are c**k on, help is only a click away.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read a buyers guide.

They are more awkward to work on that most due to the fact you need to pull the engine to get to the turbos, swapping out downpipes result in hours of swearing and ****** knuckles and the cambelt is an epic adventure... but suspension, brakes, etc. are the same as any other car.

Reliability - I hear they can be reliable. I know many people that have never had any problems. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I've had ALL the problems!

Driveability - Excellent. Used mine to commute in for 4 years, wifey can piddle round town to the shops and I can show a some seriously quick cars a clean set of heels.

There are 3 tuning companies I would look at in the UK, and i've owend mine 6 years and been a forum wore the whole time, so feel I have read enough about other tuners to steer clear. Those 3 in alphabetical order are - MRC, Unicorn and Viper. I've had 3 different MRC maps on mine as well as a Unicorn map (with launch control and flat shift mapped in.... epic!!!!). And the other week drove a Viper mapped car. Depends what you want from a map and where you are based.

You should expect between 300 and 320bhp for a Stage1 map.

Ask less but more specific questions in your posts, and you might find you get more detailed answers!

Thank you for the reply, do these suffer from rust ? It seems to be a hard task finding one on low mileage .
While I am handy with the spaners I would find the tuning company I like and have them do the major work I,e cam belts and turbos ect !

Thank you for replying, any other advice please let me know

Seen a few with small patches of surface rust, but nothing major. Wouldn't worry too much about mileage. There are a handful of these running round with 200k+ on the clocks (one with 500+bhp!).

Where are you based and what is your budget?

I'm based in the west midlands, ideally don't want to spend more than 5k is that enough ?
Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to performance with a avant compared to the saloon

Thats a lovely car ! I'm Not going rush into buying one and am defiantly going to wait a few months to learn about them some more !

the advice has been great so far :) keep it coming