Looking To disable ESP

S3 Sly

Reaction score
I want to remove the esp completely from my 2000 S3, I'm pretty sure I know the codes but not sure what ABS unit I have, the mk20 or MK60 anyone know able to help.

I want to remove the esp completely from my 2000 S3, I'm pretty sure I know the codes but not sure what ABS unit I have, the mk20 or MK60 anyone know able to help.

Surely just pushing the button to turn it off would be the easiest solution

How do you intend to do this? I looked into it a while back and couldn't find any solution.

I wanted to revert the way the ESP button worked so that it was off when the engine was turned on and you had to physically hit the button to turn ESP on. (which will be never ;) )

Early s3's had esp enabled and no switch, so i assume the OP wants to try changing the softcode so it doesn't know it has ESP

I'm pretty sure even when you switch off it's not off 100%. Plus I like to play around with things :)

Yep that's pretty much it, I'm off outside now to have a play. If I succeed Westy I'll let you know.

Early s3's had esp enabled and no switch, so i assume the OP wants to try changing the softcode so it doesn't know it has ESP

Does this mean that all early s3's had esp, the only difference being some had a switch to turn it on/off?

Does this mean that all early s3's had esp, the only difference being some had a switch to turn it on/off?

I'm sure Mark's (Byzan) comment isn't right! I thought original S3s didn't have ESP (hence no button) and it was added to the later models as an extra safety device for your average driver.

There's no way mine would even be drivable if I couldn't turn it off. If I forget to turn mine off I soon know about it!

I have an esp fault somewhere which after swapping several things I still can't fix, when it's enabled the car just bogs down/dies as soon as I pull off.

Anyway I have managed to disable it in VAGCOM. I took the software code number 18448 and subtracted 2048 this gave me 16400, 16400 is the new code. (for mine anyway)

This disables ESP but leaves ABS working. Not had chance to test drive yet as car is on axle stands ready for diff swap out :)

I have an esp fault somewhere which after swapping several things I still can't fix, when it enabled the car just bogs down/dies as soon as I pull off.

Anyway I have managed to disable it in VAGCOM. I took the software code number 18448 and subtracted 2048 this gave me 16400.

This disables ESP but leaves ABS working. Not had chance to test drive yet as car is on axle stands reading for diff swap out :)

Interesting stuff.

What module was this in VCDS?

Slipped up there, I could have made out I was a Audi guru :)

One of the advantages of working on the NHS IT project, I get lots of google time paid for :)

To be honest I never noticed, I only bought the software the other week and not really had time to play with it yet.

Cheers, I only have the light versn. I'm doing the dog bone bush now so the clean stuff will have to wait. I do like the computer controlled brake bleed option though :) Coming from a 93 Impreza RA th Audi does seem rather over complicated.

SLY was that your S3 I saw round yeovil on monday with the dog cage in the back

Na mate, I'm in North Yorks near Skipton, though I do have a dog cage in the back for the pug and staff. The wife wanted a pug, I wanted a new plasma, you can guess who won :)

huh im pretty certain I saw a minge blue S3 with personalised number plate S3 Sly might have been mistaken tho it was a pre facelift, sorry for confusion shame about plasma would have been nice

I decided on that username as my mate had S3 Sly and I had T5 OLF and he was going to swap as he had a Golf. In the end it never happened and I sold my plate and he sold his I think.

Women never understand the need for a bigger TV, just like they don't understand the need for a 7.1 surround and most bloke things.

Westy did you have any joy disabling ESP ?

Anyone got a pic of the there dash without the ESP button, I'm looking to remove the button now I have got rid of the ESP but not sure what should be there on the early S3.

Westy did you have any joy disabling ESP ?

Anyone got a pic of the there dash without the ESP button, I'm looking to remove the button now I have got rid of the ESP but not sure what should be there on the early S3.

No mate not had time yet. I'm off on a stag do this weekend too so wont get a chance till next week.