Looking to buy an S3

steveborner

Reaction score
HI all,

I am looking to buy an S3 reasonably soon but first wanted to check if there was anything in particular that I should be looking out for when veiwing/test driving an S3. I am looking to spend up to around 9k.

Thanks in advance
Steve:icon_thumright:

basically check for any rust bubbles etc on the body work,check for cambelt history and if the water pump has been changed,also check the clutch when you test drive as this isnt a cheap job if your clutch goes.and basically the usual old stuff like brakes tyres.And get it HPI checked.
ive prob missed something but someone else will come a long and tell you if i have.

cheers mate! how many miles do the big services come up? and when does the cambelt and water pump normally get changed? Also where have you found best to insure your S3? I am 20 years old.

Thanks
Steve

had some quotes for around 1800, been driving a starlet gt since I was 17 and no claims/points.

cambelt 60k or 5yrs mines had two and its done 75k.just for safety.lol
im insured with admiral im 21 and paid £900 fully comp 2yrs no claims 0 points.
my insurance is due in july and have been quoted £850 fully comp 3yrs no claims and 3points on a ts20.so not bad at all and thats with elephant.co.uk.

im woth admiral atm on the starlet and they qant 2400 a year for an S3.....Im just on the search for the best example I can find even If I have to stretch over budget a little.

Hello, just too say buy an S3 great car and you will have a smile everytime u drive!!

insurance wise i was 21 0 points 4 yrs no claims and with direct line 600 quid couldnt actaually belive it myself!! buts have been driving and on own insurance since 17 check them out!!

HPI the car prob most important and look out for dodgy mileages as has been proved on here a few times plus all usal checks

oh ok, so if there is a problem with mileage clocking going to want all previous MOTs? thanks again everyone for all the help

Also take into consideration which BHP model you get, 210 or 225bhp, the latter costs more to insure, and they are pretty much identicle in performance. Both models also remaps to similar outputs also.

Yeah mine is the 225 a 2002 silver S3, yeah i would get the HPI and check the Mots if they have, also getting a full service history is worthwhile even if its not a full audi one, gives a good idea as how the cars treated.
do a lot of searching for insurance its well worth it.

edd NO!
ahh well i thought i knew it was coming your power hungry!
my insurance renewal just came in £499 i'm 22 5 years protected no claims i'm chuffed all mods declared also!!
thought it would be more expensive as its a european import.

mines is for sale mate see in the classifieds

Silver 51 plate facelift, 65,000 miles full swevice history. timing belt and New metal water pump done at 61,000 miles. Standard bar stainless cat back exhaust. 10months mot 4 months tax. Black leather interior. usual s3 spec ie xenons, climate control ect

£9500

I'd say don't bother, get 1.8TQ instead. The S3 is just a glorified version, and if you're 20 insurance will be a lot cheaper too.

golf said:
I'd say don't bother, get 1.8TQ instead. The S3 is just a glorified version, and if you're 20 insurance will be a lot cheaper too.

someone else mentioned this, but one of my main reasons for choosing an S3 is the interior and all the otehr extras in the S3 package, unless the recaros are an optional extra in the 1.8tq?

thanks
Steve

btw, if anyone has theirs for sla earound the 9k mark then pm me some details :icon_thumright: . Imola yellow I really want but im just unsure as most people i know dont really seem to fond on the colour or drivers in cars that colour lol!

ive had both the 1.8TQ and the S3 and if performance is all your after id say go for the 1.8TQ also as theyre very similar, especially when its mapped. But i like all the toys that comes with the S3 thats why i changed lol, the 1.8TQ looks very basic compared to the S3

djakster said:
ive had both the 1.8TQ and the S3 and if performance is all your after id say go for the 1.8TQ also as theyre very similar, especially when its mapped. But i like all the toys that comes with the S3 thats why i changed lol, the 1.8TQ looks very basic compared to the S3

what diferences are there between the two?

thanks
Steve

The S3 has a K04 turbo, twin intercoolers and larger injectors compared to the 1.8TQS which has a K03s turbo and only one intercooler.

You won't get the Recaro's, xenons or flared wheelarches with the 1.8TQS either. You have to ask yourself if the S3 is worth the extra initial cost, though.

golf said:
The S3 has a K04 turbo, twin intercoolers and larger injectors compared to the 1.8TQS which has a K03s turbo and only one intercooler.

You won't get the Recaro's, xenons or flared wheelarches with the 1.8TQS either. You have to ask yourself if the S3 is worth the extra initial cost, though.

il prob go for the s3 then, k04 better tuning possibilities if i decide to. Doesnt the s3 also have a qwider track suspension etc?

golf said:

In my opinion, for the money, surely you are better off investing the extra £££ for the S3, as it just comes better equipped along with the wider body and bigger turbo etc. it's the top of the range model, why would you even consider a 1.8T Quattro unless S3 was out of your reach? unless you really need 5 doors, you don't fancy the looks of the S3 or insurance was a problem.

Just my opinion of course. :icon_thumright:

Steve....go buy an S3......take your time and dont rush into anything that doesnt appear to be cosha.:no: I bought my S3 3 weeks ago after looking at a fair few, most of which were complete and utter sh!te!:sadlike: Its a 2001 facelift in absolute red with black leather/grey alcantara trim, totally standard with fash and 104k. £6550. Mileage wasnt a problem cos if theyve been looked after the engines are good for plenty of trips to the moon and back, drives really well too. My advice to you is go and buy the BEST car you can for your money, regardless of age and bhp:sly: