Looking to buy an A6

TonyT

Finally got my A6
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to Audi and looking for some assistance. I'm about to start looking for a new car and I fancy an A6. Not sure of what spec is out there or what is deemed to be the best engine etc so all info appreciated.

RS6 S6 are out of my pound note league but have seen a few higher mileage 2.7 bi-turbo's that caught my eye. On the other hand i've also looked at the 1.8T (is that a 4 or 5 cyl?) as I know they can be chipped easily.

I'm not keen on diesel - don't like the narrow power band and chatter at idle.

so far from picking up bits from mags and from what I think I know I fancy getting a car from around 99 on, be a quattro, have a manual gearbox, with no wood effect trim and ideally a leather interior. and have a budget of around 5K, possible?

any pro's or cons getting one model over another? Owners opinions welcome.

enough of my ramble

Regards
TonyT

i was in this same situation a couple of months ago i had 5k to spend and i ended up buying an a6 on a 2000 plate with 57,000 on the clock its only the base model 1.8 turbo but as you say itll chip and upgrade easily i paid 4,700 for it and its in mint condition id sooner buy a lower spec car with lower mileage than a higher spec car with higher mileage also the 1.8 t is a 5 cyl engine hth

Was in the same boat as you just over a year ago. I too fancied a 2.7 bi turbo. Great performance but guzzles the juice!

The 2.8 Quattro I bought had full Audi service history and was (is still) in mint condition! Paid just shy of 5K. It has been a joy to drive - would recommend.

Went for a quattro, as the steering would be better A6's can suffer from wooley steering.

Nice and roomy in the back, have had three people in there over 6ft tall comfortably. The boot is a good size too!

Handles and performs very well and the 5 valve per cyclinder engine revs nicely and sounds great!

Good luck

Fuel thirst is my only worry, currently run around in a 2.0 16v vectra, dull, boring to drive with no get up and go but it does get me from a to b, I also have a Porsche 944 for fun (3.0 S2) but i've not really had the time to enjoy the porsche this year so i'm selling both of them and have a nicer car as a daily runner. The A6 is a subtle car in my eyes, but stylish in a Germanic fashion :yes: and i like that.

heading off on holiday soon but plan to get some test drive in when i get back.

keep the opinions coming :biggrin:

thank you

Tony

well my previous car was a 2 litre cdx vectra top of the range model however i had modified it a little lol and my a6 walks all over that for comfort and speed

bigblokey0 said:
i was in this same situation a couple of months ago i had 5k to spend and i ended up buying an a6 on a 2000 plate with 57,000 on the clock its only the base model 1.8 turbo but as you say itll chip and upgrade easily i paid 4,700 for it and its in mint condition id sooner buy a lower spec car with lower mileage than a higher spec car with higher mileage also the 1.8 t is a 5 cyl engine hth

Sorry but you seem to have found an extra cylinder the 1.8T is four not five. i assume your engine has a cowling hidding the plug leads. I am fairl sure no one makes a five cylinder engine anymore.

Enjoy your car i love mine!

are they 16v? or 20V?

I wasn't sure.

BTW don't volvo still do 5 cyl turbo units? Alfa do a 5 cyl td too. Hence my initial confusion. thanks for keeping me right though :smile:

Anyone got an old brochure they are willing to part with? trying to find out what spec levels were available too.

TonyT

there 20v im sure someone told me they where 5 cyl what does the 5 v stand for on the engine then?

poss 5 valves per cyl. My mate argued it was a compact 5 cylinder (not inline more in a V configuration) thats what prompted the question in the first place - I didn't know for sure.

TonyT

TonyT said:
poss 5 valves per cyl. My mate argued it was a compact 5 cylinder (not inline more in a V configuration) thats what prompted the question in the first place - I didn't know for sure.

TonyT

I think I know what your mate had in mind. VW does a 2.3 litre narrow-angle V5 engine. It's like a VR6, with a bit chopped off the end.

It's been found in various Golfs & Passats but has never really caught on. In fact, I think it may have been dropped.

TonyT said:
BTW don't volvo still do 5 cyl turbo units?
TonyT
Yup! It's a 2.5 litre in-line five-pot, and is also found in the hot Ford Focus ST (for Sanitary Towel).