Looking for the right VAG-COM tool

Dmitri

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to access the headlight range control (group 55). New to VAG-COM....Audi S4 2005 4.2, manufactured in 2004, VIN waupl68e95a098310. Several questions:

1. What will be better: to buy a USB cable and software ( my laptop has win 7) or to look for a scanner?

2. What protocols should be used with my car: "standard" OBD2 VAG COM or CAN-BUS?

3. May I trust ebay info or should I look for more reliable (= expensive) sources?

Many thanks!

PM NHN on here, he'll sort you out and you know you can trust him.

Thank you Bez101 and Quattrojames. What is NHN (I am new to this forum)?

NHN (Nigel) is a well established foum member who can do you a good deal on a genuine VCDS cable.

thanks for all inputs! this is what I have finally found for my S4:
- it shoul;d use CAN BUS protocol
- here is the cheapest cable to laptop:
VAG 908.1 Vagcom Updated ODX Data for VW / AUDI

My S4 was registered in 2004 but it's a 53 plate so presumably built in 2003. I take it the same cable would be applicable for me too.

What about the software? That's around £200, right?

My S4 was registered in 2004 but it's a 53 plate so presumably built in 2003. I take it the same cable would be applicable for me too.

What about the software? That's around £200, right?

That's a hong kong special. the cable is a rosstech copy and they will provide you with cracked VCDS software so it should work OK but be aware that you won't get any support for installation or use and there can be problems with antivirus programs. If you get one just be aware that before you install it make sure your antivirus is disabled completely, otherwise it may flag the crack as a trojan and disabled it. So you end up with a trial version of the software really and that won't do what you need.

Noel