Looking for owner advice

Karadjas

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'll be in the market for a nice new car in about a year. I'd like to keep my first new car for quite a bit of time, closer to 10 years than 5, so I'm looking for a hot hatch that might occasionally be called to carry around a family while still satisfying my right foot.

I've been looking at the Leon Cupra for some time, but the facelift looks like something that got shaken off the back end of a cow. The Opel Astra OPC looks good on paper, my mother is very happy with her 1.4 in terms of build quality, but it's not making my hair stand on end and my blood boil. A bit too "Max Power". The Scirocco R does though, as much as the S3. I know it's not out yet, but it will be by the time I fork over the cash, and it's all just a mix-and-match of already existing parts. However, it looks like it will end up too close to S3 money for a wrong wheel drive car. Hence, the S3 SB is my top choice atm.

Few questions from the noob.

1) It will definitely get a 1st stage tune (intake/full exhaust/reprogramming) once I get used to the power and the warranty expires. Is the S-Tronic strong enough to handle the mountains of torque, especially during LC starts? I've read about the occasional cold-weather jumpiness, but that won't be a problem round here (Cyprus).

2) My Polo 6N and my father's MY96 A6 are built like bricks, nothing has ever gone wrong with them that wasn't operator error or expected wear. I've heard a few horror stories about later VAG models though. Is there anything I should keep in mind, either VAG-platform related or specific S3?

3) Is the fancy technomagnetoadjustorific suspension worth the money? I'm looking for sportiness over comfort, without getting too ridiculous. I know I should make that decision for myself with a testdrive, but the dealer here does not have an S3 available for test drive.

4) Any rumours of a new generation coming soon? I'd hate to get all pumped up over getting an S3 and then finding out that a new, uglier one will come out just before I get it (like what happened with the Cupra:motz:).

Sorry for the long first post, I like having a bit of contemplation time with all the facts laid out before I make such a big decision.
Thanks,
Mike

Good luck with trying to test drive an S3 with mag ride - we struggled to even get an S3 to try. Eventually we did tick the box for mag ride, because it has to be both a comfy kid carrier and a personal whizz machine. The two modes seem to do the trick - "Sports mode off!" (as per the DIS) is just a little harder that s-line, so Ok for the passengers. "Sports mode on!" is rock hard, but I'm getting to like it - very flat through the corners, and the suspension control through in both modes seems to be better than the std setup we tried - which IIRC is a little less extreme than the mag sports mode. Strangely, I think the mag ride needs to "warm up" as feels less controlled when cold.

So gets my vote.

Paul

Mike,

I've had my 57 plate S3 for about 4 months now, and the one thing they should have put in at the factory is bucket seats! Coming from a Subaru Impreza, it's a must have if you are going to do the twisties. IMO, it's one thing that should be standard on a car of this performance and price point.
1) 1st stage tune is well worth it I reckon, I've only had mine remapped so far, but it still suffers from horrendous turbo lag between gears.
2) Too early to tell re reliability, but generally well regarded engines.
3) The magnetic ride sounds useful if the roads you use are bumpy- they are where I live! Otherwise, the standard suspension setup is firm but comfortable, nowhere near as harsh as some reviews would suggest.
4) There are rumours of a new model (with chrome trim around the windows- yuk), as well as the stonking RS3 with the 5-pot 2.5 litre turbo unit from the TTRS!
I found some blurb here: http://www.essex-audi.co.uk/blog/index.php?s=S3 Put RS3 or whatever in the search bar for other stuff.

cheers
Si

Wouldn't agree about the turbo lag - but I think Audi have changed the map for the latest models. I think it's reasonably progressive.

Also, I did read a review saying that the buckets steel a bit of rear legroom - may be an issue depending on size of the driver/front passenger. Also you may want to search on the seats anyway as some suggest they are a bit snug.

RS3 will be expensive if it appears at all and I'd guess at 3 door only?

Paul

I never noticed turbo lag on my scooby, before or after modding it, but it's very noticable on the S3. I'm talking about the lag when changing gear, not the initial spool-up by the way. The standard map makes for a progressive spool up, but power comes in a little more aggressively when I run with the remap.

Rear legroom isn't a concern for me, as I rarely carry passengers in the back, and only for shortish hops when I do. Went for a spin in a work-mates S4, and like the seats in the scooby, they seem to be built for me!

Yep, the RS3 certainly won't be cheap, if the TTRS is anything to go by. I'd expect around £34K for the 'base' model? There may be a 3 and 5 door model, you never know! Depends if they do it properly and build a new body shell for it. Well worth a look methinks, whatever the configuration.

cheers
Si

Just saw this thread :) I know I am a 'little' late but since I know you haven't ordered the S3 yet (I work with your brother, George :icon_thumright: ), just give me a shout if you're still interested in trying out an S3 with mag ride.

S3 Sportback is a great car, the DSG box can handle lots of torque, but if you get the software done it takes the limit upto 368ft-lb. You want to get Buckets, they are amazing, I'm not sure on mag ride, not heard much difference, I prefer coilovers myself! S3 doesn't feel laggy at all, compared to the previous 1.8Ts