1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an a3...

coolguydudeman May 29, 2011

1. coolguydudeman

coolguydudeman New Member

Hello everyone,

Ive recentlely been looking for a new car and Ive wanted an audi for such a long time.... Trouble is the ones I am finding in my current price range all seem to be very high milage!

I have £5000 saved at the moment and i'm hoping to have 6000 by next month, is it realistic to get a half-decent a3 on a 03/04 for this kind of money with about 50-60k on the clock?

I saw this one in a local car garage Value Cars Direct - supplier of quality used cars - Stock the other day. But 90,000 on the clock is kind of putting me off... What you guys think?

Cheers

2. Lings

Lings Active Member

For the milage you want you need more cash .

3. coolguydudeman

Whats a good figure to aim for you reckon? And is the high milage a bad thing? I hear so many things for and so many things against it.

4. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost Regional Rep VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

I had a pretty rough time with a high-mileage S3 last time, so decided to fork out the extra money for a low mileage approved car. Don't think the savings are worth the risk and potential hassle. I know a lot of these cars will sail past 150k, but I don't want to be behind the wheel when they do. Just my opinion though.

5. Naj

Naj Member

Hi, I recently bought an 04 A3 2.0 TDI Sport with 72K on the clock. Mostly Audi service history. Got it down to £5200 as I had to spend another £500 getting the cambelt and service done.

I'd get the diesel over the 1.6 petrol all day. And high mileage on these diesels is much less of a concern if it has been maintained well.

6. coolguydudeman

Thats how I'm thinking mate. How much did you end up paying for an approved car?

7. MartayMcFly

I've got an 08 S3, so a fair bit more than £5000.

8. Minstadave

Minstadave Member

6-7k should find you a reasonable 03/04 model, but can you afford the running cost is the most important question. Servicing/tyres/cambelt change/new turbo/DSG failure/DMF failure.

Be careful you do your sums because an old Audi is not cheap to run. A new turbo or DMF aren't uncommon and you're looking at around 1k each.

9. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. MartayMcFly

I should probably have said something more along the lines of "about 10% above what I would have paid for the car privately".

11. Hellz

Hellz Geordie Racer

Might be able to pick yourself up a decent 3.2 for between 6-8k but the comment "Be careful you do your sums because an old Audi is not cheap to run" best applies to this however, cracking engine! Insurance might sting a bit too depending on your age/history.

12. McDHibs

McDHibs Member

Shop around for insurance as im just sorting out my renewal 6 years no claims v6 3.2 A3 £580 from admiral on a multicar policy £370 from Hastings like for like cover. not everyone is on the compare sites.

13. coolguydudeman

Haha, well I can always dream cant I?

Its probably best to save the extra cash and go for a newer model by the sounds of things. Not looking for a 3.2 engine the insurance would be well beyond what I'm willing to pay i'm only 24. Would probably be looking at a 2.0 TDI.

14. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

2.0 TDI is where its at ! :wub: