Looking for advice

Nick Cross

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Audi A3 which I bought from new, there is 57500 miles on the clock and I have just been told I need a new gearbox and clutch. Now obviously I'm not happy about it, the warranty ran out in June, I have contacted the Audi dealership I purchased it from and they have offered to contribute 50% of the bill as a good will gesture. What I would like to know is, am I getting a good deal here or should I pursue things further? Any help would be much appreciated.

First find out what it will cost for a new box fitted from another Audi dealership then see what your dealer is going to charge, i bet with there contribution of 50 per cent the prices are pretty close.

I would price an independent doing it as well as what joinerman said.

Would you say I'm lucky to be getting a good will gesture at all or would you say they should foot more of the bill for the age of the car and the mileage on it?

@jojo had his gearbox go on him with his car being newish and 50k,I don't recall Audi helping him

Audi are not going to stump up 50%, what they will do is put an extra 50% on the price they give you then knock of their goodwill gesture so you end up paying full price, been there done that got the T shirt.

Well supposedly the work was going to cost 4K and they want me to pay 1800, that's for a new clutch, flywheel and gearbox. I was quoted just over 3k at the garage I took it to originally for genuine Audi parts

I've been there as well, ended up paying £300 for my roof to sprayed with a 70% audi contribution (so full price would have suspossedly been £1000) on their corrosion warrenty, a indie would have charged me £150-200 with 0 audi contribution and probably done a better job!

I guess what I really want to know is am I wasting my time putting up a fight with Audi to foot the full bill. The damage done isn't because of wear and tear and I don't believe it should have happened for the age and mileage of the car. I don't want to be shelling out a load of money if I have a good case for Audi paying for it. I am inexperienced in this area and just want to know what other people's feelings on the matter would be if they were in this situation

Part of the clutch plate has snapped off and managed to get into the gearbox causing it to fail. No idea how it has happened

sounds like the clutch plate has been faulty but at the age of it I don't think you would be able to prove it but then again these shouldn't fail like that .
Can you send it away and get it checked

I've decided to pay the 1800, I can't see me getting anywhere with it being out of warranty and I don't think I could get it cheaper for genuine Audi parts. As much as it has annoyed me I just don't see me having a leg to stand on legally. Thanks for your advice though!

Reactions: Ghost
I've decided to pay the 1800, I can't see me getting anywhere with it being out of warranty and I don't think I could get it cheaper for genuine Audi parts. As much as it has annoyed me I just don't see me having a leg to stand on legally. Thanks for your advice though!
At least for your 1800 quid with Audi, the work will be warrantied.

Reactions: Ghost