Looking for a new suspension setup for A3

Jay

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a spring and dampers setup.

Don't want to go down the coiover route as I understand they are more for track use. I'd like to atleast maintain the factory ride quality if not improve it due to the kids.

I was looking at the Weitec 40mm ultra gt last year but it seems to have gone up in price a fair bit.

Budget is around £300 and don't really wanna go lower than 40mm.

I was also considering front and rear ARBs, would these help the handling on A3's at all or are they a waste of money?

thanks

Hi Mate

I have the Ultra GT kit and its worth every penny :)

I fitted front and rear 25mm KW anti roll bars and the car handles great now so another good mod to do.

Out of the box the A3 isnt the best handling car but with decent springs, dampers and ARB's you'll be well happy.

T

thanks...alot of recommendations for this kit but its close to the £400 mark.

Whats the ride qulaity like compared to standard? and is it recommended to get the bushes changed at the same time?

Any others which are worth considering?

i kno u said u dont wanna but u can buy jom coilovers for £180 at dpm and they are superb! :icon_thumright:

here's a bold statement:

DO NOT BUY THE WEITECS

there, I said it!

I had my weitecs for about 2 years, and I loved them.

that is, until, I fitted some cheap ebay jamex £200 coilovers to a mates A3, and on the test drive, I was horrified to find they were WAY smoother and softer than my weitecs!

I honestly couldn't believe it, the Jamex coilovers, even when wound right down, are miles more comfy than my weitecs were, it's just inane, and makes no sense, but it's a fact!

When I realised this, I bought some Jamex coilovers for my own car, and once again, the improvement in ride was very noticeable, and all my passengers commented on it too!

I've also now fitted the Jamex coils to my new car, and I love them!

I'd go for the jamex coilovers myself, they really are brilliant, and half the price of the weitecs.

I've been reading the post about you fitting them to an A3 .
I've got 18's on mine, would it make much difference to the ride and handling?

You can throw your ride comfort out the window when you fit 18's mate, its a lot harsher on rough pothole ridden roads thats for sure.

I've taken my 18's off for the time being and Im running my stock turbo wheels because of the crap state of repair the roads are in. I'll be honest..on the stock wheels its as smooth as OEM so I dont know why Prawns felt poor...mine are lovely!. On a smooth road with 18's its fantastic but with all the holes in the road at the minute its crashy over the bumps.

2nd vote here for the JOM coilovers. mines slammed and really it dont feel much difference than my 40mm springs did. Very good value for money.

Mine wern't poor as Such Tom, just not as good as the Jamex coilovers!

Wheels will obviously make a big difference, but as a direct comparison on mine, changing from weitecs to Jamex coilovers made a noticeable improvement to ride quality, it's MUCH smoother on the jamex, despite being lower. that's with the same wheels/tyres on both setups.

I know that typically you get what you pay for, but people have been running these Jamex for years trouble free, and they really are brilliant, and half the price of weitecs.

I sold my weitecs for £185, so the coilovers cost me a grand total of £15 to upgrade to

If I was buying now I'd maybe go for the Jamex set too as I sort of wish my car was lower....but then I see the speedbumps I have to driver over every day :)

surely you can just slow down for the bumps matey?

I run mine about 65mm down, and I'm yet to find a speed bump around town I can't get over:

24481_401008096776_501476776_4512228_6996034_n.jpg

I spent 2 years telling everyone I much prefered shocks and springs, then eventually realised I was wrong, and went for the Jamex!

Not looked back yet.

We have those horrid sump busting squares on each side of the road on a lot of places around here, you cant drive around them as there are bollards in the way etc.

Pain in the hole, I actually caught the front bumper on one the other day...thought it was game over for a minute when I heard the noise.

surely you can just slow down for the bumps matey?

I run mine about 65mm down, and I'm yet to find a speed bump around town I can't get over:

24481_401008096776_501476776_4512228_6996034_n.jpg

I spent 2 years telling everyone I much prefered shocks and springs, then eventually realised I was wrong, and went for the Jamex!

Not looked back yet.

That the new A3? looks very nice...best colour for A3's aswell IMO.

Whats the spec?

I think i might bite the bullet and go for a set....Are they easily adjustable once fitted?

Yea that's the new car, I love it!

currently got jamex coilovers, H&R front ARB, Eibach rear ARB, CAI kit, Forge 007p, 6k HID's, retrofitted half leather recaro's (same as originals but half leather - not S3's) and centre armrest.

R-tech map being done on saturday, and a set of Porsche 996 brakes in the post :)

Oh, and it's got parking sensors too, haha

JOMS or JAMEX? whats the difference and which ones are more comfortable?

Are these both adjustable once fitted.

thanks

JOMS or JAMEX? whats the difference and which ones are more comfortable?

Are these both adjustable once fitted.

thanks

the joms are spot on mate. fully adjustable once on the car. Im on the floor and every use is no drama. unless on on a stupidly un even road there quite cumfy (and i have a mullered back)

Tom: crawling over those square speed bumps at a funny angle is part of the fun of having a decked car! lol

Do they have Jamex / Jom for an A3 Quattro Sport (I cant see anything that says Inc Quattro) I was looking at AP any comments on the ride ?

( I would go Red springs on a Black car ! )

It says on the vemon site the JOM bluelines only go down 40mm and 60mm? but ive seen a3's on here looking decked on them' is that right?
Which ones go lower the JOM's or the jamex coilovers, as i could do with ordering a set

Many kits claim only 60mm lowering, as I believe below this they cannot gain TUV approval.....

oh right cool so by the sounds of it either jom or jamex will both do about the same job and go about as low? the jom bluelines from venom say they dont go as low as the bluelines from dpm im guessing thats because of the tuv aproval from vemon like prawn said, they are the exact same product from both places though arent they?